Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert geography

Options
  • 22-01-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

For an essay relating to how plate tectonics lead to volcanoes is it ok to talk about hot spots? Or are hot spots not part of plate tectonics? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Hotspots are part of plate tectonics so yeah it's fine to talk about them

• Registered Users Posts: 6 James97

Okay that's great, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Just be aware most questions asking about plate tectonics and volcanoes tend to reference plate boundaries so in that case, as hotspots occur in the middle of plates, it wouldn't be relevant.

Every past question Ive seen have just said 'theory of plate tectonics' and has never made reference to plate boundaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

James97 wrote: »
    Every past question Ive seen have just said 'theory of plate tectonics' and has never made reference to plate boundaries?

He/she is just making the point that IN CASE it says plate boundaries, honestly I never even thought about that, I too always assumed it was just the theory of plate tectonics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Apologies you're right about volcano past questions. I was thinking of general plate tectonic questions like

Explain, with reference to examples you have studied, how plate tectonics helps us understand the forces at work along crustal plate boundaries. (2009)
    Plate boundaries are zones where crust is both created and destroyed”. Examine the above statement, with reference to examples you have studied. (2007)

I was just making the point that it probably isn't wise to go off on a tangent about hotspots in questions like the above. As in for the second question I wouldn't put in a paragraph saying "However, sometimes crust is also created far from plate boundaries in areas called hotspots..."

Ah I see! I was just worried I was missing something obvious in the volcano question haha, thanks for your help anyway :)

Advertisement