Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bag list for first time mum

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi I am a first time mum and would like to know what you took in your hospital bag. What you took for you, and what you took for baby.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Two bags, a small gym bag for the labour and a bigger bag/small suitcase for post natal.

Labour Ward:
    - Baby outfit - Vest, babygrow, and hat (Optional) and a nappy or two.
    - Socks
    - Hairbrush, clips etc
    - Face cloth
    - Towel & toiletries (You might have a shower before you're officially in labour if you've been having contractions for a long time - to help speed things up. If you dont have epidural you can have a shower after birth)
    - Nightdress
    - mp3 player or book or some distration because if you are being induced it can be a long day
    - Pads
    - Nursing bra

Post Natal:
    - 6/7 x vests, babygrows,
    - Baby towel
    - Towel and toiletries for yourself
    - Pads and breast pads
    - Slippers, socks flip flops for shower
    - Couple of pairs of pyjamas
    - Lots of big comfy undies or disposables
    - Nursing bras
    - Phone charger
    - Camera (if you want better pictures than the smartphone)
    - Baby nappies, vasaline, (water)wipes or cotton wool
    - Outfit for bringing baby home
    - Baby sheets and cellular blankets
    - Bibs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I found lipgloss handy for the labour ward because if you get the gas and air it can really dry out your lips. Also, dettol wipes for the post natal ward to wipe down the crib and a sports cap water bottle is handy for washing any stitches you might get. Oh and maybe tmi but I had painful internal haemorrhoids after labour so I'll be covering all bases and bringing something for that this time :o Oh, the glamour!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Put a roll of bin liners in your bag for sending washing home, better than having it all piling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

- Phone charger

short extension cable - sockets are exactly 3" > length of your charger away

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9820645.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

just add a t-shirt and deodorant for your partner, it can be very hot in the delivery unit also you could be there a while. Also any medication your partner may require. Someone here also suggested paracetamol in the bag for your partner, the hospital can't give any medication to someone who's not a patient, just in case of headache etc. This was a god send because my husband ended up having an awful toothache in middle of everything when we had our son. And a list of people who you want to call/text after you have the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

gctest50 wrote: »

Excellent idea. Noted for next hospital stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

kandr10 wrote: »
    Excellent idea. Noted for next hospital stay.

Have you something to tell us??? ;):) (jokes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

In your labour ward bag put the babies first clothes, vest nappy etc in a small plastic bag. If you're out of it after giving birth or have had an anaesthetic or anything it makes it very easy for your partner or nurse to find everything in one go rather than rooting around the bag for each thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Have you something to tell us??? ;):) (jokes)

Ha no! Just daydreaming at the mo :) soaking up all the tips so that when the brain turns to jelly again something might have stuck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

gctest50 wrote: »

Got a good belly laugh out of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

sillysocks wrote:
    In your labour ward bag put the babies first clothes, vest nappy etc in a small plastic bag. If you're out of it after giving birth or have had an anaesthetic or anything it makes it very easy for your partner or nurse to find everything in one go rather than rooting around the bag for each thing.

this is a great idea. I separated my bag into labour ward and then after that into mine and then babies. I had a tunny bag in the delivery suite with towel, baby's clothes, nappy and a change of clothes for me. oh some snacks too. The midwife commented how organised I was and how little things I had with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Just to add for your own outfit for going home, bring something that fits you at 40 weeks as you'll be much the same size going home and you don't want anything too tight. Comfort is most important!

I made the mistake of bringing maternity jeans that I hadn't worn in a few weeks with me to go home in and didn't realise they'd be too small and I had a VERY uncomfortable journey home

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just to add for your own outfit for going home, bring something that fits you at 40 weeks as you'll be much the same size going home and you don't want anything too tight. Comfort is most important!

I made the mistake of bringing maternity jeans that I hadn't worn in a few weeks with me to go home in and didn't realise they'd be too small and I had a VERY uncomfortable journey home

Or if you're getting your OH to bring in your clothes for going home that morning, make sure and leave the outfit out before you go to the hospital. My husband brought in a pair of trousers that were snug on me when I was 12 weeks along. (Still don't know why, because i described the exact trousers I wanted him to bring in) After the birth, I was so bloated they didn't even go up my calves, so he had to run out to M&S on henry st to get me a pair of maternity trousers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Sandwich bag for outfit is a great idea, did it on my first, you more than likely won't dress the baby, your birth partner probably will especially if you've had a section or epidural. Just in case you're in hospital for anytime before labour I'd bring in some earplugs and an eye mask. Spent a few days on the prenatal ward and altogether 5 days pre and post labour. Earplugs because hospitals are never ever quiet, eye masks because of the hourly obs by midwives.oh and just in case anyone else hasn't said it a water spray bottle! Don't bring too many layers for yourself unless you're an extremely cold person, hospitals are crazy warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Bring some anteseptic wipes with you for when you are going to the toilet after you have the baby. You will need them to wipe toilet seat before you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The moist toilet tissue you can get is good for the few days after the birth, make sure it's not scented or doesnt have too many chemicals in it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

+1 on the sports bottle of water, it was a godsend for me.
    One thing I didn't think of (or see on any list) and I've recommended since is a small notebook. It's handy to keep a note of baby's feeds/wet nappies/dirty nappies so you can tell the midwives when they're doing the rounds.
    Cereal bars or similar - it's a long time between 5 (tea time) and 7 the next morning (especially if you're feeding baby when the food comes around and its too cold to eat)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

This was my list more or less:
    Hospital bag:
    For me:
    Slippers
    Dressing gown
    4 pairs pjs
    Socks
    2 breastfeeding vest tops
    2 breastfeeding bras
    Towel & head turban towel
    Nipple shields (sterilised and sealed in their little cases)
    Toiletries:
    Shampoo
    Conditioner
    Shower gel & shower puff
    Toothbrush & paste
    Mouthwash
    Alcohol hand gel
    Vaseline
    Tea tree oil
    Earplugs
    Face wipes
    Deodorant
    Hairbrush
    Shower cap
    Flip flops for shower
    Nipple cream
    Senekot
    Phone charger.
    2 packs maternity pads
    10 pairs granny pants
    1 box breast pads

For baby:
    8 sleepsuits
    8 vests
    2 hats
    4 pairs mitts
    3 bibs
    24 nappies
    Nappy bags
    Cotton wool pleat
    2 hooded baby towels
    Vitamin D3 drops
    Milton wipes (for wiping down the cot etc)

Labour Bag:

2 nighties (one to give birth in, one to change into should I need to after the birth or during labour if I get messy!!)
    Disposable pants
    Maternity pads
    Small toiletries bag with shower gel, deodorant, small tin of Vaseline etc
    Facecloth
    Towel
    Slippers
    Warm socks
    Change of Tshirt and deodorant for my other half.

Baby outfit (nappy, vest, sleepsuit, hat, mitts, cardigan) in a ziploc bag

I ended up not needing the breast pads as my milk didn't come in till I left hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'd personally say three nightdresses in your labour bag: my waters broke all over one so had the second one on for giving birth (no epi very quick!) and one to change into after. Also a pair or 2 of pj bottoms in there too: if you end up being induced you will walk the corridors and I hated having my legs out! Also a second pair of slippers: I only had one pair waters broke and then I had damp ones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

+1 on the sports bottle of water, it was a godsend for me.
    One thing I didn't think of (or see on any list) and I've recommended since is a small notebook. It's handy to keep a note of baby's feeds/wet nappies/dirty nappies so you can tell the midwives when they're doing the rounds.
    Cereal bars or similar - it's a long time between 5 (tea time) and 7 the next morning (especially if you're feeding baby when the food comes around and its too cold to eat)

+1 something for keeping track of baby's feeds etc. You'll be surprised how bad your memory is with a new baby! We got an app that you can track everything with, feeds, sleep, pee, poo, pumping etc. We've got it on both our phones and it can sync between them so we both know what's going on. I still use it and he's 5 months, handy for when the doc/nurse asks about his feeding or nappies. I use Feed Baby pro.

You can also get an app that will count/time your contractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

I brought my own big sausage pillow :D it was great while I was in labour and then I used it when feeding baby and also to get comfy after c section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HOP2024

Whether you are opting for a hospital or home birth, you will need to get prepared and organised for the birth of your little one, but if you are anything like me you can get completely overwhelmed when it comes to packing those all so important hospital bags. How much do you pack for a newborn? What will a new mum need during birth? The questions are endless. I opted for a home birth, but packed hospital bags in case of a transfer to hospital was needed. Thankfully these bags were not needed, but my birthing partner found it really helpful having everything in one place, so he wasn’t searching the whole house every time I asked him for something. 

The Ultimate Checklist of Baby Essentials for Labour 

• Organic Swaddle  
    • Soft Cotton Baby Blanket  
    • Eco Nappies  
    • Biodegradable Wipes  
    • Organic Baby Sleep Suit 
    • Cuddle Cloth  
    • Multi Tasking Baby Bottom Balm 

The Ultimate Checklist of Mum Essentials for Labour 

• Stretch Mark Oil  
    • Wash Bag  
    • Ultra-Soft Maternity & Nursing Loungewear 
    • Pillow Spray  
    • Eye Mask 
    • Essential Oils  
    • Hand Held Fan
    • Cooling Mist 
    • Snacks and Drinks  
    • Nursing pads 
    • Nursing bra 
    • Soft Toilet Wipes
    • Lightweight Dressing Gown 
    • Slippers 
    • Comfy Clothes for Going Home 
    • Toiletries  
    • Medication 
    • Birthing notes 

You can find my full list over at House of Pyaar.

Advertisement