Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why so many siblings kill a parent

Options
  • 22-01-2015 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

very sad what ever happens within family's to destruct a person to kill there parent, it seems with the last few years this seems to be happening a lot in ireland

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0121/674459-dun-laoghaire/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

mental problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Why so many children kill a parent. The way you phrase it only makes sense if multiple of your siblings killed your parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Because some parents are f***ing annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Probably to get them before they kill the kids. Much more common for the parents to kill their children unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

A lot of murderers have siblings and a lot of people who get murdered are parents; but this fact does not explain why murders occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Why so many children kill a parent. The way you phrase it only makes sense if multiple of your siblings killed your parent.

Wrong. A sibling is the opposite of an "only child" so he could mean "why do so many non-only-children kill a parent?".

The word "siblings" on its own doesn't necessarily refer to two or more individuals who are related to each other. You could have a group of a million siblings, none of whom are siblings of each other.

So there.

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Wrong. A sibling is the opposite of an "only child" so he could mean "why do so many non-only-children kill a parent?".

The word "siblings" on its own doesn't necessarily refer to two or more individuals who are related to each other. You could have a group of a million siblings, none of whom are siblings of each other.

What? Siblings are two or more people who share at least one parent.

What? Siblings are two or more people who share at least one parent.

A sibling is a person who has at least one brother or sister. If you see two people, each of which has at least one brother or sister, then you're seeing siblings (the plural of sibling). They're not siblings of each other (not necessarily anyway), but they are still both siblings.

A sibling is a person who has at least one brother or sister. If you see two people, each of which has at least one brother or sister, then you're seeing siblings (the plural of sibling). They're not siblings of each other (not necessarily anyway), but they are still both siblings.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141225222206/fan-fiction-library/images/9/90/Wat_png_by_katysz_by_katysz-d6j542d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gustafo wrote: »
    very sad what ever happens within family's to destruct a person to kill there parent, it seems with the last few years this seems to be happening a lot in ireland

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0121/674459-dun-laoghaire/

I think it has been happening for quite a while tbh ....

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Ni-Pa/Orestes.html

• Advertisement

If a person says to you that they know two twins, it doesn't necessarily follow that they know a single pair of twins. It could be that they know two unrelated individuals, each of which has a twin, and therefore is a twin. Do you follow?

Use the same logic with siblings. It's not complicated. The word "siblings" doesn't necessarily refer to people who are siblings of each other - the same way "twins" doesn't necessarily refer to people who are twins of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Where does it say her child killed her? I presumed it was a patient of hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The op should be asking why do so many children kill parents, it's not a requisite to be a sibling to be a child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

[image snipped]

As I understand it, a person is either an only child or a sibling. The plural of sibling is siblings.

If you have a brother, and your wife has a brother, you and your wife are both siblings. The same as if neither of you had brothers (or sisters), you and your wife would both be only children.

This does not mean you are your wife's sibling. You are siblings separately, to other people. The plural word could still be used to refer to both of you, it's just that people don't generally refer to groups of unrelated people by the term that refers to whether or not they have a brother or sister. People mostly only refer to "siblings" when they are siblings of one another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Awful story but awful thread title too OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

So there.

If you accept your argument, then the person killed could be anyone's parent, not necessarily the parent of the person doing the killing.

I presume the use of the word sibling by the OP was just a slip of the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

abff wrote: »
    If you accept your argument, then the person killed could be anyone's parent, not necessarily the parent of the person doing the killing.

It could indeed. Aren't most statements in "normal" English incredibly open to interpretation?

Closing those loopholes is so cumbersome (a big part of the reason that T&Cs are so longwinded) that people tend to just accept the most obvious interpretation for the sake of brevity in communication.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Where does it say her child killed her? I presumed it was a patient of hers.
    Second sentence says (very poorly) that the arrested man was charged with the murder of his mother.

"A 31-year-old man was arrested at the scene is [sic] due before Dun Laoghaire District Court tomorrow morning charged with the murder of his mother."
    abff wrote: »

I presume the use of the word sibling by the OP was just a slip of the keyboard.

I presumed it was because the word "child" usually implies a person of a very young age as opposed to a person of any age who's a son or daughter of someone else, which is also a legitimate meaning of the word "child".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

It could be the left rear suspension bush or maybe the shock absorber......

My post makes more sense than 90% of posts in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

An adult child living at home with a parent can be an incredibly toxic environment. One party may become dependent on the other and both may actively resent that, potentially blaming the other for the situation. Arguments in these circumstances can get extremely personal with relative ease as everyone involved will know the exact buttons to press too.

Once I try and imagine what those kinds of relationships could be like at the absolute bleakest with already mentally imbalanced people involved over years and years and decades and decades, it doesn't surprise me that it happens as often as it does at all.

...should I clarify that I've no desire to kill my parents here? I feel like I probably should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Are ye that bored that all ye can do is troll?

So what if the OP's wording was not to the letter of the law. The fact is ye are doing exactly what the OP finds hard to understand. ...ignoring whats actually happening.

OP- as someone said. People kill their own child more often than other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

...should I clarify that I've no desire to kill my parents here? I feel like I probably should.

:pac: I've already contacted the gordee.

Terrible story though in all seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Since charges have been brought, we can't discuss the case here until it's resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement