Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over Vinyl Silk

Options
  • 21-01-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a small bit of advice .

I am currently painting my house and its going well so far,I have used Dulux Soft Sheen and Diamond Matt on the walls ,which were all matt before.

I'm on the Kitchen now but it was previously painted with Dulux Kitchens paint about 10 years ago.
    It was a Vinyl Silk paint ,its very shiny but in good condition.

I was going to paint over this with new Dulux Kitchen paint but I see that this is no longer a vinyl silk paint but a tough washable matt paint.
    Its something similar to the Diamond matt I believe.

Can I put this on the walls in the kitchen ,will the matt stick to the silk or would a bathroom paint,which is a soft sheen be better ?
    I've read that Matt doesnt go well on Silk,it can crack ?

I have alot of condensation in the kitchen when cooking so I need a washable paint.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I think a Vinyl silk would have a slight sheen to it so you may need a primer to make sure the matt sticks properly to the paint underneath. Have a look at the Zinesser primers - they should have something to help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Zardoz

color_girl wrote: »
    I think a Vinyl silk would have a slight sheen to it so you may need a primer to make sure the matt sticks properly to the paint underneath. Have a look at the Zinesser primers - they should have something to help you!

Thanks color_girl ,the vinyl silk is very shiny allright.

I tested a patch of wall using soft sheen over the silk ,about a 1m square area.
    It went on well or so it seemed but when I cooked dinner the following night ,I tested it and I could scratch the paint off with my nail :(
    I think I may have to sand the walls down a bit to improve the keying .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

You will have to give the walls a very good sand or a mentioned before you could prime the walls with BE123 or Johnstones ups, this more so if your painting matt over silk.

Advertisement