Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eLance proposal (to me) advice

Options
  • 21-01-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi there, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I've been using eLance to hire some developers to help me with installing wordpress themes, and any other work I need done on them after installation. I've built up a good relationship with one guy, based in India, who is very efficient and good at what he does.

He has asked me if I'd like to create a joint venture on the site under my account based in Ireland. I presumed he would basically be pretending to be me as Irish developers are paid more than Indian, but he said that he could (if I wanted) be listed as an employee.

Has anyone any experience with this? Are there any horror stories I should know about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EamonnDunne

bc dub wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I've been using eLance to hire some developers to help me with installing wordpress themes, and any other work I need done on them after installation. I've built up a good relationship with one guy, based in India, who is very efficient and good at what he does.

He has asked me if I'd like to create a joint venture on the site under my account based in Ireland. I presumed he would basically be pretending to be me as Irish developers are paid more than Indian, but he said that he could (if I wanted) be listed as an employee.

Has anyone any experience with this? Are there any horror stories I should know about?

What would I gain from this is the question I'd be asking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Thanks!

I'm going to have a longer chat with him over skype about it to see what exactly I will gain from it. I wouldn't mind having a freelancer presence on eLance and bidding for jobs myself, but I'm not qualified enough to take them on alone so it may be beneficial that way. Up until now any sites I've done have been for friends or friends of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EamonnDunne

bc dub wrote: »
    Thanks!

I'm going to have a longer chat with him over skype about it to see what exactly I will gain from it. I wouldn't mind having a freelancer presence on eLance and bidding for jobs myself, but I'm not qualified enough to take them on alone so it may be beneficial that way. Up until now any sites I've done have been for friends or friends of friends.

I've just reread your post and it makes a bit more sense, probably too much blood in my caffeine stream :)

If you can ensure you have control of the financial aspect and just pay him on completion (or at designated milestones), it could be a nice little business.

Advertisement