Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 310XT- really that bad?

Options
  • 21-01-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

I can see these watches going for a decent price now that they have been replaced. Are the more recent models less problematic than the earlier ones? I have a 405 for years now. Despite not everyone liking them it has suited me fine but it is obviously limited as it's primarily a running watch.
    I'm really just wondering if anyone has had a different experience of these watches to Mr Tunney :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I have had a garmin 310xt for 5 years now with no issues. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Sold my 910 last year and reverted back to my 310xt. Its bulky but its good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Maybe I'm confusing it with the 910XT in that case..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

There are underlining issues with the build quality which has meant that the majority of the units will fog in direct sunlight. This raises the question about the impact of that condensation/moisture on the electrical components over time. In all probability you'll get a few years out of it but will be out of warranty by the time that potential issue raises its head. I have had the fogging on mine and it was so bad that i couldn't read the watch on the warmer summer days. The 910 seems to be far better. Ive had 2 910s. the first ahd bad fogging, the 2nd i've had none and i have it now 2 years. Still good as new. Id suggest keep an eye out for cheap 910s as with the 920 out now there are bargains to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Basster wrote: »
    I can see these watches going for a decent price now that they have been replaced. Are the more recent models less problematic than the earlier ones? I have a 405 for years now. Despite not everyone liking them it has suited me fine but it is obviously limited as it's primarily a running watch.
    I'm really just wondering if anyone has had a different experience of these watches to Mr Tunney :)

No I had a 310xt and liked it.

I got one and it had a problem maintaining time but was swapped out soon after purchase. Then used same 310xt for many years and in many IMs. I was a late comer to the 910xt party as I was happy with my 310xt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »
    There are underlining issues with the build quality which has meant that the majority of the units will fog in direct sunlight. This raises the question about the impact of that condensation/moisture on the electrical components over time. In all probability you'll get a few years out of it but will be out of warranty by the time that potential issue raises its head. I have had the fogging on mine and it was so bad that i couldn't read the watch on the warmer summer days. The 910 seems to be far better. Ive had 2 910s. the first ahd bad fogging, the 2nd i've had none and i have it now 2 years. Still good as new. Id suggest keep an eye out for cheap 910s as with the 920 out now there are bargains to be had.

Conversely I have had a 310xt and never fogged.
    I had lots of 910xts and can make pretty much anyones fog (yours too eddie).

There are bargains to be had on the 910xt, if you google any posts I made about serial numbers and go for one after whatever I said then your odds of one fogging are *reduced*.

There are also issues with power meter pick up (as the antenna is not sensitive enough) however thats not as commonplace.

I kept my 910xt as the resale value was more than what I would have to pay to get a new watch for the wife who is getting back into running.

If you can get one from a known user, that has a reasonable serial number then get one. Personally I think 150 would be about what you could expect to pay for 910xt + chest strap.

Thanks folks, I clearly confused models there. Will continue investigating prices and other issues like serial numbers.
    Edit: would ideally like to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

On a separate but related topic, I've had on going HR issues with my 910xt for the last couple of years. Had the same with my old 405 though so not necessarily a 910 issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

New strap is better, also changing battery can help as can shorting the device (from what ive read, but i haven't tried this as a battery change brought mine back 100%, just hadn't expected to have had to do it as quick as i did). That said mine is on route back after the anti static outer part came away from the inside black part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

EC1000 wrote: »
    On a separate but related topic, I've had on going HR issues with my 910xt for the last couple of years. Had the same with my old 405 though so not necessarily a 910 issue.

I find the straps have a shelf life of only 18 mths to 2 yrs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had 310 for the guts of 5 years...was never too bothered with the 910, didn't really offer me anything I felt I needed. Did have to send it back just before the warranty was out but had for 3.5 years after that with no major issues. Any probs I had were usually more software / garmin connect related. Maybe you should go for the 310 Baaster :)

Perhaps I should RQ! :) Seems like I could get one for €160 odd +delivery from Amazon. I've a birthday coming up which usually means new runners, but I'm thinking I might just go halves on one of these. Sounds like they do exactly what I'm looking for.

Advertisement