Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverter for batteryless pv system.

Options
  • 21-01-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,

Im currently trying to develop a batteryless pv system. I understand the basics of the system but where im coming stuck is with the inverter.

The inverter I have is a 600w 12v dc to ac. But when I hook up the panels to the inverter, i am getting no output. I know that the majority of inverter are powered from a battery source.
    Is this got to do with the input current been so low from the pv panels that it cant run the electronics in the inverter or is as basic as you need a special inverter to do this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

As we know PV -> battery
    The inverter switches the dc voltage at high frequencies (PWM control probably) to create a sinusoidal (AC) output current waveform.

In order to create a AC output the inverter needs a stable dc supply.

Whether you can connect PV > Inverter and expect it to work, I doubt it.

Perhaps someone will provide a better answer soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Have you tried hooking the inverter to a stable DC supply to test it? A car battery should suffice, if it's a 12V 600W inverter I'd guess that this is it's intended purpose?

What are you trying to run off the inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Biter2000

The inverter has one input, positive and negative.....it has no seperate supply.....i understand that it needs a stable input, but it has a stable enough input from a ciruit using a zener diode, which regulates the voltage into the inverter at 12.6 volts but the current is only 0.03amps and that is with the 4 pv panels in parallel to up the current...

Advertisement