Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot query

Options
  • 21-01-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there's an obvious answer to this question!

Heading out to Soll this weekend for the first time skiing in about 7 years. I have my own ski boots, bought in 2002, and I'm thinking it's time for a new pair? I have no idea how long boots should last, or if they have made more technical advances in the past few years with lighter materials or more padding, and I don't really have time to be travelling to Dublin or Belfast to a boot shop to make a comparison. Mine, from the outside, look to be in perfect condition, I tried them on this morning and they don't feel particularly comfortable, ie they're clunky and the insole isn't particularly spongy anymore. Although it could possibly be that due to a change in career I've been wearing nothing but flat boots and trainers for the past number of years so my feet have probably become accustomed to the extra comfort :p

My gut is telling me to reinvest and get a new pair, I'm thinking worst case scenario bring them with me and leave them behind rather than lugging 2 pairs home. I'm not mad on hiring boots, Id rather have a properly fitting pair that will mould to my feet, it just feels like my old ones are past their best. Only doubt in my mind is husband telling me not be wasting money on another pair! He has always hired his boots though.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Bring them with you, and when you get to Soll go into the ski shop next door to the Salven Stadtl and ask for Martin. He is an excellent bootfitter, he'll sort you out. If he can do something with the ones you have, he will, and if you decide to buy new ones you can break them in while you're there & go back to him for readjustments as required. And if all else fails, you can go downstairs and rent ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Boots are well within their lifespan and probably fine. Try wearing them around the house for a few hours, the heat might help mould the liners and soles again as they will have contracted due to lack of use.

You may even just need new foot beds but there have been very few significant tech advances outside of vacuum fit and moulding in the past few years

Advertisement