Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run pace for duathlons?

Options
  • 21-01-2015 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

newbie question :)

I'm coming from a running background (5K to Marathon) and was wondering at what pace does one do the first run leg of a duathlon sprint and standard at so that not to affect the bike and final run leg by too much or possibly blow up? For sprint I see most are 4 to 5K. My 5K pace is ~3:35 min/km. Would you go out at ~10K pace? I guess it doesn't really matter for the final run leg as you just give it everything you have left.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

My 1st run usually works out closer to 5k than 10k pace. But obviously not full on 5k pace either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

5km Pace for the first run, aim for 5km pace for the second run but expect to be 5-15 seconds/km down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

mloc123 wrote: »
    5km Pace for the first run, aim for 5km pace for the second run but expect to be 5-15 seconds/km down on it.

Interesting, as I'm spent for a few mins after a 5K race, legs on fire and ready to puke as 5K race pace is all out effort, heart is about 97% of max for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ceepo

viperlogic wrote: »
    Interesting, as I'm spent for a few mins after a 5K race, legs on fire and ready to puke as 5K race pace is all out effort, heart is about 97% of max for me.

Everyone will race these different. What you will find is that usually go out crazy fast. I usually try to pace it around 5k 4 mile pace but take into account the course.
    You come from a run background so use that to you advantage to get as high up the field as possible. The stronger bikers will do there own thing and you can't do anything about that.
    Aim to to coming through the field on the road 1st run. Choose a gear you can turn on the bike try not over/under gear and you will find you can still pick of a few on the 2nd run.
    Best of luck

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I reckon the best way to learn how to pace these races, is to get it wrong. Suffer on the bike? You went too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

viperlogic wrote: »

Suggest you do a brick session to see how you feel.

Try a 3k run at 4:00/km and a 10k bike followed by a run. Ask yourselg how the bike was after the run? How the run was after the bike?

No use making a 3 min gain on the 1st run to slip out 4 mins on the bike and 2 on the final run. Aim for the final run leg to be your best section.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

If you have a HRM use that - in my last race I gauged between 150-155 - few times it hit just over 160 but backed off to within my limits when I was in that zone for more than a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Enter some duathlons, deliberately mispace them. Soon enough you'll learn your limits.

Advertisement