Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to live in Rathborne Apartments, Ashtown?

Options
  • 21-01-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm thinking of buying in Ashtown and specifically the first block of apartments/duplexes around River Road, Rathborne Way, Rathborne Close etc. Does anyone have any experiences of the area they could share with me? I'm thinking of points such as:

-> Build quality? Sound proofing? etc. Does the neighbour’s snoring keep you up at night!?
    -> I've seen some older comments with complaints about anti-social behaviour. Is it a safe place to walk at night? Is it safe to park your car on-street?
    -> Future building plans? Anyone any idea what the plans are for the undeveloped land beside Rathborne Avenue?
    -> Any other perspectives? Parking? Internet? Renter to owner ratio? Sense of community? Convenience?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I'm a renter of a 3bed duplex. Nice area. very safe and quite quiet in comparison to some places ive been in. Every once in a while you'll hear the old rumpy pumpy of a next door neighbour and the internal walls aren't the thickest but unless you're living in a soundproof booth, it's just one of those things to expect.

I haven't experienced any anti social behavior except for some young kids robbing from the local supervalue.

There is talk of an aldi or Lidl going into one of the areas of undeveloped land but it's only rumor as theres no site permission signs going up. While it would bring increased traffic to the area, the local Supervalu could do with some real competition.

Parking is grand, you'll nearly always find a curb or have the benefit of allocated parking. Theres a few places being rented, as mentioned I'm a renter myself so I don't really buy into the sense of community you were talking about. Theres a few kids(not too many) and everyone appears to stick to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dubbie82

I am in Rathborne Village and I have to say it's a good neighbourhood.
    I haven't encountered any trouble at all, our block is quiet, never hear a sound from the other flats around but still the people here are nice. Most of them are younger working professionals I think, a couple of families too.
    There is a tidy town group operating and a social group operating here too I think.

Public Transport is great, the train station on the doorstep and the 120 fairly regular too and more bus stops a short walk by the Halfway House on the Navan Road.
    Supervalue has everything you need, plus there is a great Indian Take Away, a nice Chinese Restaurant, a Bar, a Cafe and a Pharmacy.

Internet and TV was a bit funny when we moved in, at that stage there was only one private provided "allowed" and I think UPC didn't cover the area, we got Sky now and I think most people here went for them too.

In our complex there is allocated underground parking and I believe there were some theft attempts over Christmas but I am not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

I am in the Village also and agree with the above that it is a lovely area and continues to grow. To clear up the last point made there were some break ins over the xmas period to the underground car park. A few bikes were stolen but thanks to a local owner he spotted what was happening and caught the 2 lads doing it with the guards. The entry point has since been sealed fully. This is the first real incident to my knowledge in my 7 years in the village.

With regards the surrounding area there are works planned between the village and the next set of apartments closest to the canal. Further down the canal to the bottom of royal canal park planning permission has been approved for another complex to be put up. This is defo the least nicest area of ashtown as a whole but with the new LUAS HUB coming in 3-4 years it will most definitely pick up the value and overall growth down there. I mention this just in case you are looking to buy on a tighter budget.

Back to the village you have nearly everything you need as mentioned above with the shops and the most valuable thing has to be the transport. The village area is more valuable than all the other blocks as you go down the canal.

The apartments themselves - Mine is a 2 bed. Its warm during the summer and retains the heat well I feel. The heating systems are decent and bills are not as expensive as some older apartments. From a build perspective the biggest negative is the air circulation. The window vents are Sh!te for want of a better word as are the extractor fans in the bathrooms. This can lead to some mold building up depending on other factors like location in the block but is easily dealt with and not something I worry about at all anymore.

Advertisement