Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Irish newspaper has the biggest agenda?

Options
  • 20-01-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Which Irish ( mainstream) newspaper or media outlet do you think has the most bias towards a particular ideology or political framework?

I think it is something worth thinking about when the ownership of such outlets is being concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.

Personally I think the IT is the most skewed, in this instance towards a pseudo liberal viewpoint, whilst the Independent is slightly more right wing- though it is a pretty poor excuse for a newspaper these days.

Discuss:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The Sunday Independent of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

The Sunday Indo isn't really a paper though.. come on, Barry Egan?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

The Independent and Sinn Fēin. They hate them so much its embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

johnty56 wrote: »
    The Sunday Indo isn't really a paper though.. come on, Barry Egan?:(

Sir, I will never, I repeat never, come on Barry Egan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Any of Denis O'Briens papers have the same agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

"The Agenda"of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's not the ones with the obvious agenda you have to be wary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Midland Tribune is very pro Birr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

RTE.

Full of lefty pinkos who are soft on Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,317 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Independent.

Complete rag of a paper. No better than a tabloid these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Whichever has the most Dutch employes. God those people love an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Which Irish ( mainstream) newspaper or media outlet do you think has the most bias towards a particular ideology or political framework?

I think it is something worth thinking about when the ownership of such outlets is being concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.

Personally I think the IT is the most skewed, in this instance towards a pseudo liberal viewpoint, whilst the Independent is slightly more right wing- though it is a pretty poor excuse for a newspaper these days.

Discuss:)

The Sunday Independent had something like 34 articles in one issue attacking Sinn Fein.
    The following week they had a poll taken and Sinn Fein were up 4 percentage points.
    They continually facilitate Mairia Cahill and her dodgy story in their attempts to smear Sinn Fein.
    Skewed isn't the word for that rag, warped would be a better description.

Oh yea, they've now promoted beaker, the husband of a prominent FFailure, to editor and chief smear merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm sure it varies frequently depending on which agenda is the hot topic of the moment. It's never just the facts obviously. And it's never unbiased or uninfluenced (or more aptly unbiasing or uninfluencing {which are totally words now}). Would be silly to think otherwise. Take it all with a big JCB claw thing of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The Irish Times. They keep expressing views that we all have but dont want to talk about eg their section on Divorce this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can I count An Phoblacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

The Sunday Independent had something like 34 articles in one issue attacking Sinn Fein.
    The following week they had a poll taken and Sinn Fein were up 4 percentage points.
    They continually facilitate Mairia Cahill and her dodgy story in their attempts to smear Sinn Fein.
    Skewed isn't the word for that rag, warped would be a better description.

Oh yea, they've now promoted beaker, the husband of a prominent FFailure, to editor and chief smear merchant.

Smearing an organisation that moved paedos to England and shot people and buried them in bogs. Pesky newspapers and their smearing.

It is a 100% a rag paper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

baldbear wrote: »
    Smearing an organisation that moved paedos to England and shot people and buried them in bogs. Pesky newspapers and their smearing.

It is a 100% a rag paper though.

Who in Sinn Fein 'moved paedos to England and shot people and buried them in bogs'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The likes of the Herald and The Star are not politically aligned but are Anti-Government. They play to the gallery of people who never in their lives would vote to retain a government. No matter who the party is they will be against the government.

TV3 are very Anti-Government too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Daily Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Which Irish newspaper has the biggest agenda?

They all have their agendas, but some are just a little bit more subtle than others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Boards.ie is basically the internet version of the independent IMO. Both extremely agenda driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Who in Sinn Fein 'moved paedos to England and shot people and buried them in bogs'?

baldbear never said a word about Sinn Féin. Whose cap are you wearing?

P.S. It seems to be a good fit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

An Phoblacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Indo/Sindo. Maniacally anti public service.

Irish Times is mostly moderate, if occasionally veering very left.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Big Issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

newmug wrote: »
    Boards.ie is basically the internet version of the independent IMO. Both extremely agenda driven.

i thought the independent was seen as right wing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Simple. The ones owned by the government and their cronies. Follow the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm a big fan of the IT but I'll be the first to admit that it has a liberal agenda. That's why I read it for news from back home.

The Indo is just crap these days, not far off an Irish Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

An Phoblocht, by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Alive :pac:

Advertisement