Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I spilled nail varnish remover on wood table!

Options
  • 19-01-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm in desperate need of advice ASAP!
    I just spilled some acetone nail varnish remover on my wooden table and by the time I got some tissue to remove it, the acetone had eaten away at the varnish and has now exposed pale matte wood. It's about a €2 size circle. It looks awful and when my parents find out, I'm dead!
    Is there anyway to fix this? Can I re varnish over the small area? I have attached a picture to this thread so you can see what I did. God I feel so stupid!
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm in desperate need of advice ASAP!
    I just spilled some acetone nail varnish remover on my wooden table and by the time I got some tissue to remove it, the acetone had eaten away at the varnish and has now exposed pale matte wood. It's about a €2 size circle. It looks awful and when my parents find out, I'm dead!
    Is there anyway to fix this? Can I re varnish over the small area? I have attached a picture to this thread so you can see what I did. God I feel so stupid!
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

Powerful stuff acetone !
    It needs a light sanding with fine grit paper ( 240 and up ) to remove any residue of acetone, hover away any dust and then a re-spray with lacquer.
    You can buy small cans of the stuff in motor factor shops - its used as a final finish over touch ups.
    Best to test it underneath the table first as it seems to be a semi-matt finish. A little furniture wax and you won't even see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Id be guessing without the piece being in front of me but I'd say there's a tint in that lacquer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Miname wrote: »
    Id be guessing without the piece being in front of me but I'd say there's a tint in that lacquer

A little coloured furniture wax should blend it in without getting technical ?

Advertisement