Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update Wordpress Theme?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I've just updated my Wordpress along with plugins. I've done a complete backup but all seems well.

It's telling me I should update my themes. Is this safe to do or should I take some precautions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Depends on whether there was any customisation made to the theme directly, which will be undone in an update. Also check that it isn't some old unused themes calling for updates. If you're not using them, they can be removed. I usually just keep one basic one (Twenty Fifteen) to switch on when looking for the source of an issue.

Oh, and if you are using a 'child theme' the parent will also need to remain.

What theme is it BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

The main theme seems to be 'Atahualpa'. There are many others there however that are looking for updates but I don't think they're being used.

How can I find out if the main theme has been customised?

Is this a theme you installed yourself, or was the site passed over to you? There's no easy way to check (AFAIK). If you don't want to risk an update yet, check to see what that update includes, and if there's nothing security related you can skip it. Clear out the old ones (Twenty Twelve to Twenty Fourteen?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

OK I'll drop the guy that set it up a mail and ask him.

There's a heap of themes from Twenty Ten to Twenty Fifteen there - so it's ok to remove these?

Thanks so much for your help!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, the only ones you need to keep are the current one and a parent theme when a child is in use.

Advertisement