Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm upgrade

Options
  • 19-01-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi
    I recently received a quotation for a house alarm upgrade. The upgrade includes the addition of a HKC text dialler and a Smartwatch GSM to the existing alarm.

This upgrade is to enable the alarm to send me a text message when the alarm goes off. I was quoted €450 for this work.

Does this seem like a reasonable price? How much labour time wise are we talking?

Any recommendations on Alarm Installers in the Limerick City Area?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would keep away from HKC for this.
    Text diallers are on the way out , IP is the way forward. That way you can use your existing internet connection to access your alarm & get free notifications.
    These options are free on Siemens, GSD &Risco systems.
    If you use HKC you will be charged for every app & have to pay an annual subscription to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mistermarantz

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would keep away from HKC for this.
    Text diallers are on the way out , IP is the way forward. That way you can use your existing internet connection to access your alarm & get free notifications.
    These options are free on Siemens, GSD &Risco systems.
    If you use HKC you will be charged for every app & have to pay an annual subscription to use them.

Hi
    What kind of device would I need to add to the existing alarm for IP notifications?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Upgrade the panel & keypad to one of the brands I listed. They all have the option of an IP card.
    For the price you are being quoted you would be well on your way to a new panel etc.Plus you want have to pay any SIM charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Upgrade the panel & keypad to one of the brands I listed. They all have the option of an IP card.
    For the price you are being quoted you would be well on your way to a new panel etc.Plus you want have to pay any SIM charges.

i have looked into the other brand ip solutions but the one thing that is putting me off is the most simple. Not main no router no connection to the panel. With the hkc at least when power goes you have a 12 7amp battery keeping the gsm-sc alive and working. So until another manufacturer has come up with a solution to mains fail I'll be sticking with the hkc.

Any panel using a GSM will have the power backed up by the panel. A router could easily be powered by a power supply with a back up battery or some other form of UPS without the need for an annual subscription or having to pay for each app.
    Even doing all the extreams above would still be cheaper.
    If the IP and apps were offered free and the multiple comms paths were charged it wouldn't be a bad product but insisting people pay just to use an app to connect to their own alarm is ridiculous in my opinion.
    There are also cheaper options using multiple paths than paying an annual subscription.

• Advertisement

Any panel using a GSM will have the power backed up by the panel. A router could easily be powered by a power supply with a back up battery or some other form of UPS without the need for an annual subscription or having to pay for each app.
    Even doing all the extreams above would still be cheaper.
    If the IP and apps were offered free and the multiple comms paths were charged it wouldn't be a bad product but insisting people pay just to use an app to connect to their own alarm is ridiculous in my opinion.
    There are also cheaper options using multiple paths than paying an annual subscription.

so every lan you put in you back it up with a ups? Seems expensive. Is the new spc app 2 way or do you need to set up an email? I set up the gsm sc to send alarm sms incase they turn off data abroad or out of data coverage. When using ip communicator can they send any other type signal ie sms or voice call?

No matter what way you set it up is going to be cheaper than €60 a year subscription.
    A ups or back up battery and power supply is an option, just like the 101 other options where people are more security consious. Not sure what you mean by a 2 way app. Spc uses email notifications. I recommend a Gmail account as this will be pushed instantly anyway.
    GSD and Risco use push notifications via the app. No great difference really. They are all free.
    My whole point all along on this is if you want multiple paths and want to back up every path with something else that's fine. Pay what you feel is worth the levels of security you want.
    If, like most people, you just want an app with notifications why should you have to pay for a subscription there. If your alarm lasts 15 years that nearly a €1000 you will have spent just to use an app?? ??
    Not good value IMHO.

No matter what way you set it up is going to be cheaper than €60 a year subscription.
    A ups or back up battery and power supply is an option, just like the 101 other options where people are more security consious. Not sure what you mean by a 2 way app. Spc uses email notifications. I recommend a Gmail account as this will be pushed instantly anyway.
    GSD and Risco use push notifications via the app. No great difference really. They are all free.
    My whole point all along on this is if you want multiple paths and want to back up every path with something else that's fine. Pay what you feel is worth the levels of security you want.
    If, like most people, you just want an app with notifications why should you have to pay for a subscription there. If your alarm lasts 15 years that nearly a €1000 you will have spent just to use an app?? ??
    Not good value IMHO.

I agree with the price of the app. But what you get for the 4.99 by far outways ups backup using only ip.
    App
    sms
    Cs calls with polling.
    allows remote access via smartlink700
    The others do app, email, but nothing else.
    I think risco has a gprs module but the customer supplies the sim card.

Like i said. Imo the 4.99 cover back up on mains fail and multiple paths so i think its the best of both worlds.

I have SMS back up on mine . I wouldn't use €5 in 6 months.
    As I said its probably going to be over €1000 euro for the lifetime of the system.(Thats not allowing for price increases ) There is no way you will spend that on texts etc.
    If you are going with CS monitoring via GSM all data charges & call charges would be covered in that price anyway.
    Its amazing how HKC were also happy to charge similar for text sims with no multiple paths.
    Again I ask, why not have free access for those who are happy with IP access & apps & alerts?
    Most customers I find are happy with this? Your phone line is more likely to attack than your IP connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi
    I recently received a quotation for a house alarm upgrade. The upgrade includes the addition of a HKC text dialler and a Smartwatch GSM to the existing alarm.

This upgrade is to enable the alarm to send me a text message when the alarm goes off. I was quoted €450 for this work.

Does this seem like a reasonable price? How much labour time wise are we talking?

Any recommendations on Alarm Installers in the Limerick City Area?

With the smartwatch GSM you can have it triggered off the alarm for an activation to text an end user. With the proper GSM off the alarm you will get more information with the zone that has activated plus remote access to the alarm system for setting/unsetting plus controlling outputs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

Your phone line is more likely to attack than your IP connection.

I find the phone lines are as well.
    I would recommend GPRS back up with the wifi card for this same reason.

Advertisement