Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Drumshanbo Area

Options
  • 19-01-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

My partner and I are strongly considering moving to a (fairly remote) place outside of Drumshanbo (having recently lived abroad and previously in Dublin). We both work freelance and do most of our work online.

What it boils down to is: if it's possible to have a decent enough Internet connection, we can do it. If it's not we can't.

Having trouble figuring out how to judge this before investing in moving up. I've read this County Council report from October 2014, but it's a bit vague on actual experience.

Are there many of you using Satellite Internet in the area? What kind of speeds are we talking about, in actual Mbps? Is the upload speed okay? Is it reliable? I know very bad weather can affect it, but is this the kind of thing that happens once a month or twice an afternoon?

Some of these questions apply to anyone using Satellite broadband, I suppose.

Thanks for your help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

I think the absolute best thing to do is ask the nearest neighbor adjoining the house you wish to buy/rent or visit the house and see if you can get a 3G or H+ mobile broadband signal from inside your house. Mobile or satellite will probably be the best options if you are more than 3 or 4 miles from the town. Mobile ahead of satellite though.

If all else fails, The Hive do very affordable and flexible office spaces in Carrick with 100MB fibre broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmct

you should check out group net brodband,based in Keadue

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

Just checked out the Group Net website - what an awful website! Does not instill confidence in their service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 theonlywayisup

Check out Kilcom.ie for broadband in Drumshanbo area. Great broadband but you must be able to see the wind turbines on the local mountains from your house to get it.

yea i agree the website is very basic,but the service is very good.my brother is using it for a few months now,and getting between 2 and 3 gig down.

• Advertisement

kilcom is the same company as groupnet

Advertisement