Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Qualification

Options
  • 19-01-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi - anyone able to advise me on how I can gain the above qualification to allow me to teach at post-primary? I'm qualified RE and English teacher (B.Ed.) and currently teaching so NOT looking to return to full-time education. Am aware of UL course but as I have no teaching hours in Maths I don't meet criteria.....looking for information from anyone who knows of any part-time/night course that'd do or else experience of OU? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭doc_17

You would have to do the whole, or most, of the Maths OU degree which would take a few years. If you started the UL one next year it'd take 2 years to complete so either way you are looking at around 3 years minimum, or the start of the 2017/2018 school year, before you finish those studies. But that time won't be long flying in.

I'm not aware of another route you could take, although I did hear something about a new course UCD were offering for science and maths teachers but I can't find a link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭newbie85

Hi stonework89, not sure where in the country you are but DIT also do part time evening maths courses. I have a science degree, was short 13 credits in maths to qualify me according to the teaching council, so last year i did one of their modules. Found the course and DIT great. Most people doing it were doing it 2 nights a week (2 modules a year). What i did was very managable working full time. Lectures were 7 til 9 or half nine. Lots of other teachers on the course similarly upskilling. You should get in contact with the maths Dept there, it was only by phoning that i found out that these courses were on offer, you'd think the teaching council could point you in the right direction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

Hi, similar situation to OP - I wasn't accepted on UL course this year (2014/2015) even though I met all the criteria - reason they gave me was that because I was an NQT i.e. I hadn't been teaching in 2013/2014, I wasn't eligible. I contacted the TC this week because I'm still hoping to get a qualification of some description, so to have Maths as a teaching subject (my undergrad is in a concurrent B.Ed. practical subject). The TC suggested a Higher Dip. in Mathematical Studies in any of the NUI's but from what I can see, they are all day time courses which doesn't suit my working full time! The DIT course is ruled out due to location - realistically, the UL course being run in EC's around the country was my best shot - not sure if i'll meet the criteria next year which is annoying! Any ideas from anyone in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi, similar situation to OP - I wasn't accepted on UL course this year (2014/2015) even though I met all the criteria - reason they gave me was that because I was an NQT i.e. I hadn't been teaching in 2013/2014, I wasn't eligible. I contacted the TC this week because I'm still hoping to get a qualification of some description, so to have Maths as a teaching subject (my undergrad is in a concurrent B.Ed. practical subject). The TC suggested a Higher Dip. in Mathematical Studies in any of the NUI's but from what I can see, they are all day time courses which doesn't suit my working full time! The DIT course is ruled out due to location - realistically, the UL course being run in EC's around the country was my best shot - not sure if i'll meet the criteria next year which is annoying! Any ideas from anyone in a similar situation?

Reapply to UL again this year, they are taking applications for it at the moment. I got an email about it from my ETB last week. You can also do maths through open university, where you work from home. There's a thread on it if you do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

Reapply to UL again this year, they are taking applications for it at the moment. I got an email about it from my ETB last week. You can also do maths through open university, where you work from home. There's a thread on it if you do a search.

Thanks - yeah, I was thinking about the OU - as I have no ECTs in maths (my highest qualification in maths is LC HL) what would I need to do modules wise. I emailed the TC and they seemed to focus on people with some college maths to their name. From the UL perspective, could I, do you think, actually approach a school and ask for some maths hours, similar to what a PME student would do, even if it meant not teaching my current subjects. Would this be advisable do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks - yeah, I was thinking about the OU - as I have no ECTs in maths (my highest qualification in maths is LC HL) what would I need to do modules wise. I emailed the TC and they seemed to focus on people with some college maths to their name. From the UL perspective, could I, do you think, actually approach a school and ask for some maths hours, similar to what a PME student would do, even if it meant not teaching my current subjects. Would this be advisable do you think?

I doubt it because they're not going to have someone in on a voluntary basis teaching maths when they are not qualified in it, when they have someone qualified in it sitting in the staffroom.

You wouldn't be part of a PME programme so I can't imagine a school wanting to get involved in that situation.

Also the course is aimed at teachers in jobs who are teaching maths. If you are not part of the staff there I can't see why a principal would be able to sign off to say you were teaching the classes.

The minimum you would need in terms of credits is 120 credits with OU. Their degrees are 360 credits and the requirment from 2017 onwards is 33% of degree must be in the subject, but you'll have to get that info from TC.

Advertisement