Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Amazon Prime Instant Video in Ireland

Options
  • 19-01-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any luck using this in Ireland?

Looks like it would be pretty good value for £79 if you consider the delivery service as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

In short yes. Obviously not using an Irish IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

cgc5483 wrote: »
    In short yes. Obviously not using an Irish IP address

Thanks
    And would you recommend it? Is the content collection more expansive than Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

groom wrote: »
    Thanks
    And would you recommend it? Is the content collection more expansive than Netflix?

seems quite good but to be honest i haven't examined in detail. Along with the delivery and the ability to rent books for the kindle it makes the £79 much better value

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

does the free delivery work in Ireland?

To answer my own question - no

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

groom wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck using this in Ireland?

Looks like it would be pretty good value for £79 if you consider the delivery service as well.

Yes - I've been using Prime Instant Video for a few months in Ireland.

Recently just got an Amazon Fire TV too & have Prime on that, along with using the Prime App on an iPad.

I also have Netflix & overall think (for me anyway) Netflix has more content (the US Netflix Catalog - not the UK/Ireland one :-)) that I like.

It really depends on what types of shows you watch.

If I had to choose just one service, I'd go with Netflix (the US Catalog / Library). However while there are some similarities with content between the 2 different services, there are also some content exclusive to either service.

I was looking for an old movie called THEM (B&W B-Movie about Giant Killer Ants :-)) & found it was only on Prime & not Netflix.

Things I don't like about Prime include where it shows you multiple seasons of TV Shows & at a quick/first glance you might think all are available. On closer inspection, you might find that Season 1 or 2 are available but you have to purchase or rent the other seasons/movies.

If you are a media junkie (I confess I am & like to have access to tons of Movies/TV Shows both at home & via portable devices (iPad)), then either Netflix or Prime should be worth a go for you. You don't have to commit long term so its not going to cost a fortune if you don't like it - maybe just 1 month's subscription etc..

One of the best devices I've bought recently has been the Amazon Fire TV (& put XBMC on it). Its great spec & performance running XBMC & that's a whole other world I'm not going into here but you can 'Google it' & find out more if you like..

You may find a service like Overplay SmartDNS useful too ;-)

Hope this helps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Cheers. Yeah I've got a FTV and a FTV Stick. Love how smooth XBMC runs on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is there an xbmc amazon prime app?

I've used the US service in the past and while there's a great selection and you find films are released there much faster than netflix alot of content is still pay per view even if you are a paid subscriber which was very disappointing.
    Id have a look through the content that interests you, see if it will be free to you to watch as a subscriber, if not you'll be paying again for the pleasure of seeing it in which case you might be better off just paying to watch a few things without subscribing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 accountant787

Is the HBO content available in Ireland once you pay your annual sub or do you need a way of getting around it or maybe its not even free in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I was looking for an old movie called THEM (B&W B-Movie about Giant Killer Ants :-)) & found it was only on Prime & not Netflix.

Sorry to go off topic but that film terrified me when I was a little kid. Couldn't sleep for months after. I'd love to see it again!

Is the HBO content available in Ireland once you pay your annual sub or do you need a way of getting around it or maybe its not even free in the US?

You need a way to get around it to view it in Ireland even after you've paid your sub.
    Some content is free to people with a sub and some is still pay per view. Check out the titles you're interested in, if it says "Watch for $0.00 with Prime Instant Video" and has a big "join prime now" button it's free if you have a sub. If it only says "buy with one click" and has prices then you have to pay extra to see it even if you have a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 accountant787

You need a way to get around it to view it in Ireland even after you've paid your sub.
    Some content is free to people with a sub and some is still pay per view. Check out the titles you're interested in, if it says "Watch for $0.00 with Prime Instant Video" and has a big "join prime now" button it's free if you have a sub. If it only says "buy with one click" and has prices then you have to pay extra to see it even if you have a sub.

So I was just flicking through the catalogue there.

Most shows or movies are like this (eg Band of Brothers)

Prime $0.00

Buy episode $5.99
    Buy Season $54.99

So does that mean its free if you have a Prime subscription?

Seems to have a great catalogue available if that is the case.

So I was just flicking through the catalogue there.

Most shows or movies are like this (eg Band of Brothers)

Prime $0.00

Buy episode $5.99
    Buy Season $54.99

So does that mean its free if you have a Prime subscription?

Seems to have a great catalogue available if that is the case.

If it says Prime 0.00 then yes it's free if you have a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

If it says Prime 0.00 then yes it's free if you have a subscription.

Anyone know if you pay for prime through the UK site at 79 pound, and then log in through a US vpn do you get access to the us catalogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but that film terrified me when I was a little kid. Couldn't sleep for months after. I'd love to see it again!

https://archive.org/details/PhantasmagoriaTheater-Them1954176/v2

Tails142 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you pay for prime through the UK site at 79 pound, and then log in through a US vpn do you get access to the us catalogue?

Nope not in my experience anyway. They are seperate services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Has this been updated to include Ireland? Going to ditch Netflix and Spotify anyway..

Is the music catalogue decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Has this been updated to include Ireland? Going to ditch Netflix and Spotify anyway..

Is the music catalogue decent?

Prime Video content (without using a vpn) that is legitimately available in Ireland - is quite limited - they have an "abroad" section that works.
    Streaming wise - it appears to need more bandwidth to run than Netflix. I can run two Netflix connections with 10 Mb broadband - and Prime Video struggles with one connection.

Music Catalog/Library is nowhere near what you get with Deezer or Spotify (might be fine if you don't want the latest released music though)

Even with all of the above Amazon Prime is arguably a subscription worth having in Ireland - when you count the Cloud Photo Storage and Prime Delivery (using Parcel Motel).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wallaby72

How do people get to sign up for services like Amazon Music when it insists on a UK issued credit card?
    I've tried various combinations of valid UK addresses with my Irish credit card but it refuses to accept it.
    Are there virtual debit cards that can be used?

Thanks

wallaby72 wrote: »
    How do people get to sign up for services like Amazon Music when it insists on a UK issued credit card?
    I've tried various combinations of valid UK addresses with my Irish credit card but it refuses to accept it.
    Are there virtual debit cards that can be used?

Thanks

Not sure if it's possible but can you pay for a subscription with an amazon voucher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Patww79 wrote: »
    Have they any plans to launch the TV service proper here? Really not worth the money when the main feature is missing.

Very unlikely given the size of the market. Getting used to living off the crumbs of the .co.uk table :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 alkelly

Heads up for anyone checking this thread, that currently GetFlix works with Amazon Prime so you can watch the full selection of content. Just tried it with the 14 day trial. Also works for Netflix USA which has much more content than the Irish version.

Advertisement