Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is liable for the repair?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I recently had to break a door in my house!
    I was in the bathroom and the handle broke, I think it was a spring inside the lock, so I was stuck in the bathroom, I had to kick a hole in a panel to get my hand through the door to open the door from the other side.

of course I would not have to had damaged the door if the handle was ok..

So my question is who is responsible for the repair?

thank you for any advice.

p.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I think you will have to fix it - sorry I know you would like a different answer!.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Unless you had notified the Landlord that the handle was showing signs that it needed replacing then it's going to be you footing the bill for the door.

Even if you had notified it could argued that you're still be liable for breaking the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You kicked in the door, you repair/replace it.

The handle breaking could have been simple wear and tear, or could have been caused by misuse. No easy way to prove either. Not specifically the landlords fault, nor yours, but you broke the door to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I suggest you approach the landlord and politely explain what happened and invite landlord to go 50-50 with you on the replacement. nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eldarion wrote: »
    Unless you had notified the Landlord that the handle was showing signs that it needed replacing then it's going to be you footing the bill for the door.

Even if you had notified it could argued that you're still be liable for breaking the door.

Madness. What was the OP supposed to do, stay there for days until the LL sent a locksmith to fix it? What if s/he lives alone and there was no way anyone else would have heard the cries for help?

As a LL, I would expect to be paying 100%, provided that the damage was not excessive for the situation.

I say go for the 50% each way, at very least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Eldarion wrote: »

Op didn't mention item was showing wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would get the ll to pay. had the tenant had a weak heart or been disabled this could have ended very badly. I certainly could not kick a hole in a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I recently had to break a door in my house!
    I was in the bathroom and the handle broke, I think it was a spring inside the lock, so I was stuck in the bathroom, I had to kick a hole in a panel to get my hand through the door to open the door from the other side.

of course I would not have to had damaged the door if the handle was ok..

So my question is who is responsible for the repair?

thank you for any advice.

p.

You are liable for the Door, but the landlord is liable for the handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

a faulty handle has caused harm to you and the door is the landlords responsibility. You had no choice but to do this and I don't see any reason why the landlord should not pay for this. It is not wear and tear.

Advertisement