Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sense of achievement

Options
  • 19-01-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭

There has been a huge rise in participation in activities such as cycling, marathon running, iron man challenges, ultra running ect in Irish society.

One of the theories for this is that society has become so comfortable that it offers few challenges that lead to a sense of achievement.

As little as a generation ago going to college gave a great sense of achievement because not every one went and it offered a real sense that it would lead to real opportunities and a better life, now that most people go its has devalued having a degree in the work market place. There are loads of examples like that. We have evolved a society where everyone's basic needs are taken care of which has lead to modern life giving very little sense of achievement.

Agree or disagree with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I would. There's a fierce shortage of sabre-tooth tigers to run from these days, and hardly anyone scrabbles around half-naked in the dirt for a few roots to eat. I myself was recently forced to eat four hamburgers simultaneously in an effort to stimulate myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

mariaalice wrote: »
    There has been a huge rise in participation in activities such as cycling, marathon running, iron man challenges, ultra running ect in Irish society.

One of the theories for this is that society has become so comfortable that it offers few challenges that lead to a sense of achievement.

As little as a generation ago going to college gave a great sense of achievement because not every one went and it offered a real sense that it would lead to real opportunities and a better life, now that most people go its has devalued having a degree in the work market place. There are loads of examples like that. We have evolved a society where everyone's basic needs are taken care of which has lead to modern life giving very little sense of achievement.

Agree or disagree with that.

huh, when you've got young kids, you'll consider taking a dump in peace an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Partly disagree. It's not only about a sense of achieving something which they may find lacking in the rest of their lives.

People have more disposable income and more time available than 30 years ago. People get married much later now and spend their 20s and 30s cultivating hobbies that they want to continue when they have dependants. There is also more opportunity now to do things. Also it is ingrained in culture now that people always have to be doing 'something' - it's not enough to just sit and relax. In a consumerist society that is a waste of the most valuable resource (time) which can be used to accumulate that other valued resource (money)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would the majority of people who do cycling, marathon running, iron man challenges, ultra running etc be stuck behind a desk on a pc for 40 hours a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I thought the surge in marathon running was because so many people can no longer afford gym membership, so they took to running instead, no:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm not giving my usual response as I don't want to become a stereotypical typecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I thought the surge in marathon running was because so many people can no longer afford gym membership, so they took to running instead, no:confused:

When I was young a gym was a musty room in school that doubled up as sort of theatre, where once a week we were made run around and jump up and down, the idea of paying to go somewhere and pay to do exercise would have seemed mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Most people are doing shizz like this for 'likes' and reasons to take selfies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Going by facebook I've been led to believe that people these days get a great sense of achievement from the dumbest and most menial shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Being able to walk in a straight line is achievement enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Play any video game today, and you'll be getting achievements for the most mediocre of things such as progressing through the first level or making their first item, or whatever...

This is what society has become, people all wanting a false sense of achievement undeservingly for that little bit of self worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Would the majority of people who do cycling, marathon running, iron man challenges, ultra running etc be stuck behind a desk on a pc for 40 hours a week?

I cycled Mizen to Malin last September (over 5 days) I also work 40hrs a week behind a desk on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Play any video game today, and you'll be getting achievements for the most mediocre of things such as progressing through the first level or making their first item, or whatever...

This is what society has become, people all wanting a false sense of achievement undeservingly for that little bit of self worth.

TBH, i think those achievements are more about having some random thing to give yourself a sense of superiority over other players. When they came out first, some of them were notoriously hard to get, so having them was like a badge of honor, now you'll pick up most of them without any real concerted effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I cycled Mizen to Malin last September (over 5 days) I also work 40hrs a week behind a desk on a PC.

Now thats a busy week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I sign up for all those race things just to get the tshirt and post selfies on facebook. Fukk yo marathon, biactch

BMJD wrote: »
    I sign up for all those race things just to get the tshirt and post selfies on facebook. Fukk yo marathon, biactch

Most daycent races won't give you your t-shirt til you cross the finish line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There is a real buzz to doing something great. Last summer, I participated in running a summer camp for disadvantaged kids. It was incredibly hard work, 7am starts and we had to accompany them on a bus which dropped them to five different drop-off/pick-up points. By the time the kids were home, it would be 5pm and we'd have to spend another hour cleaning up and setting up for the next day.

However, once it was over it was great to know you did something worthwhile instead of sitting on your arse watching Netflix all day. Some of these kids came from horrific backgrounds which I won't go into here but I can tell we did make a big difference to a lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Trying to think of the most cynical way in which I can deflate or downplay other people's achievements definitely gives me a warm sense of achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

7 marathons. With 2 this year. 1 ironman. Full time IT.
    It's possible. No world records will be broken mind though. :pac:

The sense of achievement is putting the effort in over a period of time to achieve a stated goal. The sense of achievement comes from not accepting the degree but the 4 years of study beforehand.

The sense of achievement comes from completing the 500 miles plus training to complete a marathon.

etc
    etc

It's the peak experiences that people seek out. They're the ones you'll think about lying on your death bed.

Advertisement