Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you play football and hurling for 2 clubs if different counties?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can you play football and hurling for 2 clubs if different counties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

could be wrong on this, but didn't tippman John Coughlan play football with portlaoise and hurl with a tipp club a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

Pretty certain you can't do it. You couldn't in 2008 anyway as i was in the situation and checked it out

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Lad from Clare wanted to play football with us in Dublin and continue playing hurling with his home club in north Clare, not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Not sure, you might though if the clubs in question were only a football club and the other a hurling only club as you can play for the two teams inside the one County in that case. There is such things as inter county transfers so might be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 himself123

A Kerry hurler a few years ago wanted to play for Limerick (where he was resident) but continue to play for his home club in Kerry. He was told that he would have to transfer to a Limerick club for that to happen.
    I know that my brother played football for our home club, played hurling for a neighbouring club (we didn't have a hurling team), played U21 hurling for a different club (the club in which he played his senior hurling didn't have a U21 hurling team, we are very much a football area) and also played both for the freshers team at his college in the one year - all legal.

I know that when UCC met Dr. Crokes in the Munster Club Football Final a few years ago, UCC released Daithi Casey and Johnny Buckley (at least one of whom was on a GAA scholarship) to their home club Dr. Crokes. Both had been key players for UCC in the Cork County Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Yes I think you can. I knew a boy who played football for Gortin in Tyrone and hurling for Ballinascreen in Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

There's been a bunch of threads on this. No, you can't. Believe me, I've dealt with the issue plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sorry to bring up an old thread but can a child (U8) play the odd match for a different club in another part of the country where his grandparents live?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

There's been a bunch of threads on this. No, you can't. Believe me, I've dealt with the issue plenty.

if there are circumstances such as you live close to the border and there is no hurling/football club in your area and the nearest is across the border, then yes i believe it can happen.

think youd need to play there from a young age as opposed to transferring as a adult but yes it has to be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

arctictree wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but can a child (U8) play the odd match for a different club in another part of the country where his grandparents live?

Ah yeah I don't see why not - the transfer policy (in Dublin anyways) only comes in when they reach U13 level (CCC2). I'd cover myself in the unlikely event he suffers an injury by having him enrolled with the GP's club and like any good parent coughing up for the Brennans Insurance with the school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I believe they would be entitled to play so long as they are a paid up
    member of any GAA club.

At U8 level there are no matches just blitzes which are generally refereed by mentors or other club members - usually 16-21 year olds so they wouldn't technically be playing a match anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Is Paul Galvin not hurling with Kilcamud Crokes but still playing football at home in Kerry?

As far as i know it can happen if there is only the one code being played in your home club. So, if your club plays hurling and football then you cannot transfer for one.

However if your club only plays one code then you can play the other code with another club.

Is Paul Galvin not hurling with Kilcamud Crokes but still playing football at home in Kerry?

As far as i know it can happen if there is only the one code being played in your home club. So, if your club plays hurling and football then you cannot transfer for one.

However if your club only plays one code then you can play the other code with another club.

You're right about being allowed play another code with another club if your club only plays one code, but you can't do it in two counties. That, at least, was what the Dublin County Board always told me when I tried to get around the issue, we had a lad who wanted to hurl with us but played fairly serious football in Clare, and he was forced to make a choice. Don't know anything about the Paul Galvin thing, but if he's playing his two codes in two counties, he's breaking the rules as the DCB always laid them out to us.

You're right about being allowed play another code with another club if your club only plays one code, but you can't do it in two counties. That, at least, was what the Dublin County Board always told me when I tried to get around the issue, we had a lad who wanted to hurl with us but played fairly serious football in Clare, and he was forced to make a choice. Don't know anything about the Paul Galvin thing, but if he's playing his two codes in two counties, he's breaking the rules as the DCB always laid them out to us.

This is my reading on the situation and not gospel as I'm no Frank murphy!

However, I think it's up to each County board to have their own bye laws to deal with this similar to the parish rule which exists in some counties and not in others.

I was led to believe that a player could transfer to another club, in any county, for one code, if he lived there. So, in Paul Galvins case, he's allowed to play hurling with the club where he's living if parish rule is enforced or any club in the county if parish rule isn't enforced, and can continue to play football with his home club in Finuge as they don't hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

galvins home club is Lixnaw, which is a hurling club, they dont play football. finuge, is his football club, which is in the parish of lixnaw.

generally, most of the same lads play on both teams.

galvins home club is Lixnaw, which is a hurling club, they dont play football. finuge, is his football club, which is in the parish of lixnaw.

generally, most of the same lads play on both teams.

Well that blows my theory out the window so!

Well that blows my theory out the window so!

But now I'm really curious about this. First off, can someone confirm he is still playing football in Kerry? Because if he is, then either 1) Kilmacud are breaking the rules or 2) the Dublin County Board has changed the rules or 3) Dublin County Board have been misinforming clubs about what the rules are for years on end.

I would consider all of those possibilities equally likely.

Someone also said that each county can have different rules about this sort of thing. I would like clarity on that as well, because that makes zero sense to me. I was under the impression that inter-county transfer rules were completely standardised. In fact I can't see how such transfers could work at all if all the counties are operating according to different rules.

But now I'm really curious about this. First off, can someone confirm he is still playing football in Kerry? Because if he is, then either 1) Kilmacud are breaking the rules or 2) the Dublin County Board has changed the rules or 3) Dublin County Board have been misinforming clubs about what the rules are for years on end.

I would consider all of those possibilities equally likely.

Someone also said that each county can have different rules about this sort of thing. I would like clarity on that as well, because that makes zero sense to me. I was under the impression that inter-county transfer rules were completely standardised. In fact I can't see how such transfers could work at all if all the counties are operating according to different rules.

It was I mentioned that he was to transfer. I've no idea if it went through or if he lined out either with Kilmacud or Finuge during the year. Probably wouldn't be hard to find out and I'm sure someone will confirm here soon.

Counties do and can have their pwn bye-laes for different scenarios but whether or not this particular one would fall into that I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It was I mentioned that he was to transfer. I've no idea if it went through or if he lined out either with Kilmacud or Finuge during the year. Probably wouldn't be hard to find out and I'm sure someone will confirm here soon.

Counties do and can have their pwn bye-laes for different scenarios but whether or not this particular one would fall into that I'm not sure.

Galvin played for Crokes in a AHL1 game against Na Fianna earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Galvin played for Crokes in a AHL1 game against Na Fianna earlier in the year

How'd he get on

• Advertisement
Advertisement