Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klingon Tech

Options
  • 19-01-2015 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

How are the Kingons supposed to have **** hot technology when all they do is fight? I never hear much mention of science as a career on the Klingon home world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Cool thread, there's one TNG episode which had a Klingon scientist, also they were depicted very differently in TOS, moreso like the Soviets, although the Romulans are more a Soviet analogue, so the Klingons would be more a Soviet/Mongol empire analogue. But in any case they were more rounded compared to what they became in TNG and the shallow stereotype they became in Voy. I'm sure there are more references to what they are like beyond the mainstream stereotype that many of them conformed to. Also although Worf was microbrain in the first two seasons he was actually pretty sharp by season 7 with a strong technical knowledge. In the episode where Troi relives the love triangle murder she sees Worf lecturing a crewmember on tech stuff and in Parallels he understands Data's tech babble on why he's shifting. In the ep with Lore leading the Borg where an ensign has to take over the battle station, she struggles with the tech aspects indicating that Worf was fairly handy with maths. The Klingons also probably steal and reverse engineer tech, the Ferengis bought Warp drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

don't they have a caste system?

The warrior caste being the more dominant one

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

War drives technical development. Just look at WW2 for example and the huge advances in many fields as a result of it.

Stolen tech from war / piracy

Klingons in ENT were a little more relxed and lamented the rise of the warrior society at the cost of all else, especially Archers council when he was under trial (ep??). STVI also had a bit of a different view of some Klingons, showing the intelligent side both of the chancellor / daughter and of Chang despite being the bad guy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I always thought DS9 gave the impression that a Federation Starship was more than a match for a Klingon ship. In Way of the Warrior, the Starfleet task force was 6 Starships, and Sisko gave the impression that they'd at least be able to hold their own against 30+ Klingon ships (think they had 50+, with 15 or so destroyed by DS9).

And a station with 5000 torpedos!!!

But yeah they had a caste system, briefly touched on and they really did not progress that fast Vs humans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Klingons are conquerors so I assume they got a lot of their technology that way, I imagine military scientists would be respected by the warriors. I recall science officer being mentioned on several Klingon bridges!

They got to warp before humanity, a Klingon engineer found a counter to the Breen weapon when all of Starfleet was baffled how to fight against it

Yeah, science station seems to be totally devoted to military use.
    Martok laments that Klingons make terrible doctors in DS9 so medical science etc is not great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i get the impression that internal strife and grief with the romulans propelled them ahead of humans, however when they werent in war their science stopped basically, as mentioned above War really is a massive engine of invention.

If you remember in the alternate reality when Ent C came through, Picard says the war with the klingons was going poorly, my reasoning for that is they were in full on war monger mode

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

IvySlayer wrote: »
    They got to warp before humanity, a Klingon engineer found a counter to the Breen weapon when all of Starfleet was baffled how to fight against it

I dont think thats the case, it was that klingon engines/power systems werent affected, i think it was mentioned that starfleet engneers were trying to figure out why

it was just one klingon bird of prey that was unaffected iirc

• Advertisement

I don't know. Remember how much Martok hated that the Klingon fleet was doing convoy duties, until Starfleet and Romulans could counter the weapon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It was found by accident by one Klingon ship, and the rest eventually modified their engines to compensate.
    Klingon ships can easily be made immune to the weapon by modifying their tritium intermix. This was found by accident after the engineer of a Bird-of-Prey, the IKS Ki'tang, performed the procedure to correct a containment problem in the starship's warp core.

Unfortunately, Federation and Romulan ships cannot be as easily modified. However, this problem was solved when Kira Nerys captured a Jem'Hadar fighter with the weapon installed, allowing Allied engineers to study the dampening weapon in detail. By the war's end, the Federation Alliance succeeded in developing a countermeasure to the Breen weapon, forcing the Dominion to discontinue its use.

Cool, I knew that I remembered that the entire Klingon fleet was all that was fighting the war at one stage

Poor Defiant Mark 1 :(
    Deserved a better end

Poor Defiant Mark 1 :(
    Deserved a better end

fair balls to them for actually destroying a ship especially such an iconic one, at that point the Defiant had been through so much id say a lot of trekkies viewed it as indestructible!

But still, it just.... fell apart. So unspectacular (I know it was good that it was so unexpected but still)

it had an entire ship classification named after it though, that's a pretty awesome epitaph for the original Defiant :)

Advertisement