Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend away max 2 hours from Dublin?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hello there, I'm planning a weekend away with herself next weekend as a surprise. I'd like it to be a reasonable sized town with good pubs and restaurants etc.

We've already been to the more popular places like west Cork, Kerry, Sligo, Galway etc. so I'm looking for somewhere a bit off the beaten path, and no more than 2 hours from Dublin.

I was thinking of Waterford as it's doable in 2 hours and neither of us have ever been...would anyone recommend it? Any other places people have been to and would recommend, maybe some hidden gems out there that don't get the credit they deserve?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

faithlegg in Waterford or slieve russel in ballyconnell co. cavan.

either place are very nice

parknesella in sneem co. Kerry is a place worth going some time. allow 4 hours drive from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Castle Leslie, Co. Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

forgot to mention hotel Europe in Killarney if heading for Kerry sometime, 3 hr drive from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Wexford Town is a very nice place also :). Waterford is a fantastic city!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

While it doesn't meet your remit of near pubs and restaurants, the Radisson in Cavan is brilliant for a get away from it all type of weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Kilkenny. Handy to get to and a good vibe at the weekends. Plenty of pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But for somewhere with pubs and restaurants, try Athlone. Sheraton, Radisson and prince hotels all bang in the middle of the town and all walking distances of pubs and restaurants. Good restaurants are thyme, top deck and la Cucina, gertie browne is a nice pub, you would probably have to visit Sean's bar. Dunno where else is good to go out in Athlone, it's been a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hello there, I'm planning a weekend away with herself next weekend as a surprise. I'd like it to be a reasonable sized town with good pubs and restaurants etc.

We've already been to the more popular places like west Cork, Kerry, Sligo, Galway etc. so I'm looking for somewhere a bit off the beaten path, and no more than 2 hours from Dublin.

I was thinking of Waterford as it's doable in 2 hours and neither of us have ever been...would anyone recommend it? Any other places people have been to and would recommend, maybe some hidden gems out there that don't get the credit they deserve?

TIA

How about Liverpool? Smashing city !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Waterford Castle , my wife and I have stayed there on at least 4 occasions over last few years. Highly recommend it :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Belfast? Take the train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

How about Liverpool? Smashing city !

I like the way you're thinking :)

How about monaghan town?
    Just an hour or so from Dublin, a few nice hotels & the town itself has lots of places to eat, and a few good pubs.

Not a place that comes to mind normally, but a good little town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Head to Dungarvan in west Co. Waterford, book in a table and a room in the Tannery, and enjoy a few pints after. Next morning, go for a drive along the Copper Coast up towards Waterford, via Tramore & Dunmore East.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another vote for Belfast, lots to see and do, lovely people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Carlingford is really nice. lots of pubs & restaurants. really handy from Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Limerick would be a good option for you.

Great restaurants and pubs with lots to do in the vicinity.

With the motorway it's less than a 2 hour drive to Dublin and the train takes a similar time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

If you're willing to go abroad, flights to most UK cities with Ryanair can be picked up cheaper then most return train journeys in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out the talbot in carlow... they do super deals, and there are lovely pubs in the town...and its close to dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I like the way you're thinking :)

A suggestion. Pop over to liverpool, its a fantastic city, with loads to see and do. Ryanair return can be as low at 30 euro. Its about 40 minutes. A train inside Ireland could cost you more.

Feel free to pm me for suggestions. Beatles, Ferries, Football, Shopping. You name it its there. Quite a compact city and plenty of hotels, so if there is no match on, you can get great deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Enniskillen, maybe book dinner or something in that place Obama was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

As others have said Liverpool is a great place go to I was a student over there 5 years ago great place. Shopping, nightlife lots too see and do

Same goes for Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

It would be cheaper to hop on a cheap Ryanair flight to Europe. Some fares are only 10e one way

Advertisement