Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby Sands Burger anyone?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Calling a burger joint in uptown Tehran "Bobby Sands" after an IRA hunger striker, might seem a little tasteless. But in Iran they take martyrdom very seriously, so paying homage to a man who died on a hunger strike by plastering his face across a greasy takeaway isn't completely out of place.

The burger shack, founded in 1982 – the year after Sands's death – is almost as famous in Iran as the man it's named after which, you may be surprised to learn, is pretty famous. Even with my butchered Farsi, people knew exactly who I was on about when I mentioned Sands. "Ah Babbi Sandz! Good man," people would say.

Basically, if you say "Ireland" in Iran, you are met with blank stares. But, say "Babbi Sandz" to the over 50s and you'll get free taxi rides, free meals and even the odd tear. Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei, Iran's Supreme Leader, recently venerated Sands on Twitter.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/bobby-sands-burgers-tehran-545

The Iranians also renamed Winston Churchill Boulevard, home of the British Embassy, to Babbisandz Street.

Now that is some epic trolling :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

A lot of streets in France are named after sands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

A Bobby Sands burger, perfect for when you're on a diet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

And the inside of the place is painted orange! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I wonder do they realise the irony of commemorating him this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

They're rebranding as a crisp sandwich shop next week.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

In New Ross there's a replica coffin ship from the famine era moored by the quay as a tourist attraction. It also has an adjoining café.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

To make it really authentic they should have a dirty protest rather than a toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I've somehow been transported to 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'll have mine with extra bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Do you come out hungrier than when you went in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Iranians also renamed Winston Churchill Boulevard, home of the British Embassy, to Babbisandz Street.

That always cracks me up when I think of it. You can just imagine all the haughty diplomats of the day scampering to have the entrance changed so that 'Bobby Sands' wouldn't appear on their letterhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think you mean Tommy sands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

poisonated wrote: »
    I think you mean Tommy sands

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

:confused:

He's thinking of Thomas the tank engine, he always gets them two confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

mad muffin wrote: »
    I'll have mine with extra bacon.

There's no need to be rude. I'll have mine with pint of Gunniess with a gold Star of David instead of the Harp on the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Noblong wrote: »
    There's no need to be rude. I'll have mine with pint of Gunniess with a gold Star of David instead of the Harp on the glass.

When I say what the, you say fûck.

What the…

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

jester77 wrote: »
    Do you come out hungrier than when you went in?

You're thinking of (Joe) McDonald's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Whataboutery the other nine who staved themselves? No commemorative burger for them?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Calling a burger joint in uptown Tehran "Bobby Sands" after an IRA hunger striker, might seem a little tasteless. But in Iran they take martyrdom very seriously, so paying homage to a man who died on a hunger strike by plastering his faeces across a greasy takeaway isn't completely out of place.

Tee hee hee hee

• Advertisement
Advertisement