Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate Fees questions

Options
  • 18-01-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, good day. I have questions about undergraduate fees

I am not an EU citizen but I have been on Ireland for more than two years. I'll be here for 3 years on August 2015. I am aware that non-EU students' fees are different to EU citizens. My dad and sister are both Irish citizens now, and my mom has been here for more than 5 years.

What do they mean by "must have been living in EU state for AT LEAST 3 YEARS OF THE LAST 5 YEARS preceding a course"?

Is there any way that I can be eligible for free tuition fees?

Are there any grants or smth for non-eu students who are entering college?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does the government of the country of which you are a citizen have any grants for its citizens abroad?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Mairu wrote: »
    I am not an EU citizen but I have been on Ireland for more than two years. I'll be here for 3 years on August 2015. I am aware that non-EU students' fees are different to EU citizens. My dad and sister are both Irish citizens now, and my mom has been here for more than 5 years.

What do they mean by "must have been living in EU state for AT LEAST 3 YEARS OF THE LAST 5 YEARS preceding a course"?
    Pretty much what it says on the tin tbh.

However, you might just scrape by that one, as it is determined at point of entry to the course, and if you will be here 3 years in August, and have the documentation to demonstrate that ...

A bigger issue might be your own actual status within the country.

Read through the information at this link very carefully.

Have a particularly close look at Appendix 1. Do you qualify under "Persons who have permission to remain in the State as a family member of a Union citizen under the provisions of the European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2006 and 2008 and Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council" for example?

I would advise contacting somewhere like Citizen's Information, or even the Fees Office of the college you think might be your most likely first choice in September, and having a detailed discussion with them.

A public forum on Boards is probably not the best place to be giving out any additional detailed personal information, and in any case none of us here deal with the intricacies of this issue day-to-day. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

^^ If that doesn't work out in your favour, if you're under 18, your naturalised father can apply for naturalisation on your behalf and there's a good chance you'll get it. Minister's discretion and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mairu

spurious wrote: »
    Does the government of the country of which you are a citizen have any grants for its citizens abroad?

Sadly, no.
    I would advise contacting somewhere like Citizen's Information, or even the Fees Office of the college you think might be your most likely first choice in September, and having a detailed discussion with them.

Thank you very much. I will definitely contact them.

Advertisement