Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit gym membership problem

Options
  • 17-01-2015 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I signed up for a 12 month gym membership September 2013 and agreed to have €18 taken out of my account monthly to pay the membership. My membership ran out in September 2014 and I started college so never renew it!
    Stupidly I have only seen that for the last 4 months the gym have still taken €18 out of my account each month even tho my gym membership is out dated!
    Am I wrong to look for a refund as I never agreed to more than 12 months DD??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Check the ts and cs of the contract you signed it may have a clause about auto renewal unless you cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Darina123

Stheno wrote: »
    Check the ts and cs of the contract you signed it may have a clause about auto renewal unless you cancel

Thanks for the reply! I was never given an actual contract! I stupidly just signed their contract

They usually word it in such a way that if you don't actually make the effort to cancel it, it automatically renews.

I've never went DD myself (always preferring to pay cash up front for a gym), but anyone i know that has signed up for DD with the gym usually never has an expired membership. It just goes forever, until they cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You probably moved to a monthly rolling contract when the 12 months expired. That would be reasonably standard.

Contact them and cancel. Ask for confirmation in writing when the last DD will be taken. Then monitor to make sure that it stops after that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Standard practise. We were caught the same way. 12 month contract which rolls over to a 1 month notice, in writing, cancellation. When we realised that there was a charge against out account we rang and complained but because we didn't put it in writing (it was left to us to find out written notice was needed) we got charged the next month with no right to refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

ask them for a copy of the contract you signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Best to assume that all annual contracts are minimum period contracts iagine if it was a phone provider and they simply cut you off without notice and say that contract was up?

So I always assume that any contract rolls over to a monthly notice after the minimum term is up - put a reminder in your phone whenever you sign a contract for one month before the end - works great for electricity and otehr utility bills where there are discounts for new customers.

Advertisement