Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert

Options
  • 17-01-2015 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi so I got 505 points in my tests before Christmas and to be honest I felt I didn't do enough work for them. now its C.A.O. time and I'm wondering would it be stupid aiming for something like veterinary in U.C.D. also how long should i be spending on week nights and weekends studying? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

If you have experience with animals, have a fierce work ethic, and have spent at least several weeks in a veterinary practice (ideally more than one) to see the reality of the job you could consider it.

If you think you would like to work with animals but haven't any first hand experience of the job then don't put veterinary down. If you know what you are getting in to it can be a really rewarding job. But I see too many people who like the idea and get the points but aren't actually suited to it in the long run and end up not enjoying it/being good at it. That's bad for them and bad for their patients and clients. It's not a career to go into just because you like animals.

To aim for the points you would need to be putting in 4-5 study hours every night, and 7-8 hours a day at the weekend between now and June: as that's what practically everyone else who really wants 550+ points is doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pdog2468

roznan wrote: »
    hi so I got 505 points in my tests before Christmas and to be honest I felt I didn't do enough work for them. now its C.A.O. time and I'm wondering would it be stupid aiming for something like veterinary in U.C.D. also how long should i be spending on week nights and weekends studying? thanks.

Please choose a course which you are going to enjoy . If you really want vetinary than go for it you will find the motivation to study .. But study smart . Don't spend too long studying useless topics or every chapter from the book.
    From my experience last year the less pressure you put on yourself the better you will do .

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

agree with weekday work (4-5 hours) but weekends, take a day off. Don't see point in really tiring yourself out, getting sick and missing more vital days of studying. 6 hours is plenty revision for one whole day..and then on friday, try do your homework and maybe study one subject for 1/2 hours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What you should be aiming for / what you want to do is something only you can decide.

However, for heaven's sake DO NOT leave a course which you really want to do off the CAO because you are afraid you won't get the points for it!! Every year people do that, get the points for it in the end, and promptly have a mini nervous breakdown. Practically, if they still want to do the course, all they can do is wait a year and apply through CAO again, and that's a major pain in the butt.

There is a good reason why CAO allows you to fill in 10 choices for Level 8 courses (and a further 10 for Level 6 & 7).

Have a read through the CAO sticky at the top of the forum.

Advertisement