Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Folding Bicyle

Options
  • 17-01-2015 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

Does anyone take a large folding bike on the trains around Dublin at peak times.

I know a small wheeled and compact one like a Brompton is OK but what about something like a Tern Joe P24?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've a cheap 20" folder thats not as small as the brompton, but its pretty tidy when folded. A lot of folders are very untidy folded and too many bits stick out. Mines a bit on the heavy side, but its fine for me if I pick it up right.

Depends on the train. For me at peak (on a busy train) I usually have to fold it and put it on the luggage rack/area or am standing and its crammed, like a Tokyo express. That said I generally avoid peak for this reason. Off peak, within reason (depending on train) I usually don't have to fold the bike at all. Depends again if the train is opening doors on both sides, if there's a wheelchair space, or a bike rack on it.

On some routes you see a few full sized non folding bikes. But that always off peak. That bike looks like its a bit awkward with the pedal sticking out but mainly the handle bars. Looks an expensive bike. Can you find one that folds a little neater. Doesn't have to be smaller. On the train you want it to quick to fold, and light-ish as you may end up lifting it up some stairs or on and off the train when its busy. You also want a minimum of stuff handing off it as it snags on things, I've whacked my tensioner off a few doorways. I think a single speed would suit be better. But I do like having gears. I've 6 gears and get a decent speed on a smooth road.

Mine doesn't take much abuse, I've already buckled a wheel, bent the hanger, knocked the gears out a few time. Doesn't like any rough surfaces, or drops. I end up having to re-tighten things if I do that. I can see the attraction of a 26" bike. For me it would limit the trains I could get. With the smaller bike I can get on a packed train no problem. The 26 though gives more options on cycling routes. Which I guess is why you're thinking of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Thanks for the good reply. The Tern Joe was just an example of the size. I agree that it has too many bits sticking out.

My route won't have steps to climb so weight isn't a big issue. I can go into work a bit later and so avoid the packed trains but I think the treshold for unfolded bikes is 10am.

I can't afford two bikes and would like one that can fold but also has decent gears and size for other times. I also may be cycling along rough tracks rather than just roads. A larger bike would probably also take standard parts so may be easier to msjntian or upgrade.

I may talk to DART to see what "rules" they have on size.

Maybe the solution is to get a cheap folder and spend the rest on a standard bike.

I don't use the Dart. I only see people getting stopped in the main stations. Most of the other ones are unmanned. I don't think there are any rules on size just that it can fold. Hardly ever seen inspectors on my route. DART might be different.

I bought mine second hand. Under 200. That said id have picked it over many new that don't fold so neat. You tube is great for seeing how different models fold. Two new ones I was looking at were the

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dahon-Speed-Shadow-Folding-Bicycle/dp/B004YHZ9QK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WJGET193W5Q6TKXZFA8
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dahon-Boardwalk-Obsidian-Folding-Bicycle/dp/B001UL5MQU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421502111&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Dahon+boadwalk

There are often on sale and cheaper than that. A lot of dire second hand bike. either poor quality or been left out in the rain, and abused. Also older folding bike might have some unusual parts which might be hard to find.

I won't be using the bigger stations and if I avoid the manned ticket kiosk then there will be nobody to stop me or say that I can't use it. I prefer the larger bike as I'll use it as a normal bike at other times. A small wheeled bike is fine for commuting but I want to use it for rougher terrain at weekends.

I'll be getting on at a remote station where the train will be empty and I will stand in the corner. It will fill up quickly and I'll minimise any parts that stick out to avoid catching anyone. Folding pedals could be added and the handle bars turned through 90 deg. Speed of folding or unfolding is not an issue (well apart from the times when I'll arrive at a station when the train is about to leave).

Single speed or two speed would make the bike neater and lighter but that will be useless for journies with hills.

Thanks for the advice. I probably am trying to get one bike when I should be getting two. There are some very nice large folding bikes but they cost a lot of money.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't use the Dart. I only see people getting stopped in the main stations.

I assume you mean with normal bikes and that you haven't seen anyone being stopped with a folding bike.

• Advertisement

stockdam wrote: »
    I assume you mean with normal bikes and that you haven't seen anyone being stopped with a folding bike.

Yeah exactly. Theres no problem with folders.

stockdam wrote: »
    ...Thanks for the advice. I probably am trying to get one bike when I should be getting two. There are some very nice large folding bikes but they cost a lot of money.

It will come down to budget at the end of the day. I bought a cheap 2nd hand folder. As I didn't want to spend much. As I want to use my main budget on cycle to work for a much better full sized bike for cycling the full distance. Which I'll get back to once the weather gets a bit warmer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've been looking at full size folders myself, as a an option for a train trip that has a 30k rural spin on one end. I quite like the look of the Montague fit as it is a full 700c wheel and could probably be converted to drops, but it is expensive. For a cheaper option, the Tern Joe C21 seems like great value on Evans for €367, and could work well as the second bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any ideas on small or large folders?

What are the mains disadvantages of a smaller wheel on a bike.
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pluses: very responsive steering, very tight turning circle.
    Minuses: steering very twitchy, hard to cycle with sliced pan under one arm and steering with other. Bit harder to get spare tubes and tyres (but not all that hard, at least for a Brompton).

• Advertisement
Advertisement