Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed root canal. Should I pay?

Options
  • 17-01-2015 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I recently had my front tooth root treated. However, it's 2 months later and the tooth is still very tender to touch. I contact the dentist who did the treatment and they told me I would have to arrange an appointment (and pay) for them to even look at it. Is this normal/fair considering I payed over 400 euro for the treatment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

are you quoting the dentist or the receptionist?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to pay for them to determine the cause of your ongoing pain, I know myself I've had tooth pain which felt like it was tooth x when in fact it was say tooth t

So reasonable for you to pay for the exam and determine if it's the tooth that got done, or another which has an issue imo.

From personal experience, I underwent quite a bit of treatment a few years ago, which included several fillings and a root canal. My dentist when doing the root canal (it was one of those giant back teeth) left a little bit of nerve/root behind (this tooth had three) and redid the work free of car, entirely at his discretion, I think I paid for the exam/xrays but it's that long ago the one thing I do remember is him doing the remediation work for no charge. Given it was a big back tooth, it cost about 8 or 900 euro too :) when it was first done, and I considered it extremely professional of him to say "ah left a bit behind there" and redo the work foc as it took a good couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

If your appointment is to do with work done recently , I feel it reasonable that the fee is waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I had the same problem, went to check my tooth (very sensitive while biting, chewing) went to dentist and she said it has to be root canal. I was shocked of the price 500e but had to do it.
    She did initial drilling, cleaned roots and they charged me 150e (first installment) came back 2 weeks later tooth still sore. She did xray and seen infection, gave prescription for antibiotic (didn't charge me a penny).
    came back two weeks later, not much improvement, she re-drilled it, put some calcium stuff and sealed it, and still no charge.
    I have only 2 options - either it will heal the pain within a week or so, or extraction.

she put this other filling to give me time to think what I want to do or in case tooth (or actually nerves) will recover.

Pm me if you want details of this dentist, but I would ring NCA and ask them that question about being charged again.

Advertisement