Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snap caps and law

Options
  • 17-01-2015 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hello..i dont know if its a stupid question or not but i would like to buy some snap caps from usa..and i was wondering if i need a gun license for them ? thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You mean this kind of thing?

218EBD2spvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nope, no licence needed, they're just plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭skipking

no license for snap caps, order away.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Does anyone know a good source for reasonably priced .22lr snap caps? My rifle chews them up quite badly and I could do with buying a stack of them.

Preferably not too expensive either. Some are ridiculously expensive. For example, these ones are ~€0.47 each which is more than I pay for real ammo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

Hi IRLConor,

When I was shooting regularly I found these very good (http://nsra-shop.myshopify.com/products/22-snap-caps) very durable, could be used x4/5 times and well priced.

I tried these out (http://www.bedstargetsupplies.co.uk/snap-caps-p-80.html)they were dreadful, very brittle plastic, the rim would often snap off after one use, leaving the body of the cap in the barrel and you picking the rim out of the bolt.

Regards,

BountyHunter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Melodeon

A fired case makes a fine snap-cap, just remember to rotate it so that a fresh bit of rim is presented to the firing pin. Also, extractors can have difficulty engaging a mangled rim edge, so try not to put a used part of the rim in line with your extractor.

CAUTION: nothing gives range officers or other shooters the heeby-jeebys quite like seeing the glint of brass in the chamber or breech of what's supposed to be a safe firearm, so it's probably best to not bring your firearm to the range with a piece of used brass in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Just throwing a couple of idea's out here, to see what you think,

first one- the small yellow wall raw plugs can be bought cheap in bulk from the hardware shop, would they work?

second- if its for dry firing and if you do a lot of dry firing would the idea of buying a 2nd firing pin and shortening it slightly so it cant hit the face of the breech be any good?

Thanks tac foley & BountyHunter! That should see me sorted.
    Melodeon wrote: »
    A fired case makes a fine snap-cap, just remember to rotate it so that a fresh bit of rim is presented to the firing pin. Also, extractors can have difficulty engaging a mangled rim edge, so try not to put a used part of the rim in line with your extractor.

I've done that in a pinch, but I can't see the breech in position so it's hard to confirm where the fired area of the rim is. Also, spent brass doesn't sit right on the feed ramp so it's always a little more fiddly to load and hence isn't quite right for training.
    Melodeon wrote: »
    CAUTION: nothing gives range officers or other shooters the heeby-jeebys quite like seeing the glint of brass in the chamber or breech of what's supposed to be a safe firearm, so it's probably best to not bring your firearm to the range with a piece of used brass in it.

No fear of that! :) My rifle arrives at the range disassembled, with the bolt out and decocked and with a breech flag in the chamber.

Wadi14 wrote: »
    first one- the small yellow wall raw plugs can be bought cheap in bulk from the hardware shop, would they work?

I had a look at them and I'm pretty sure the rims are too thick. My bolt is very tightly headspaced.
    second- if its for dry firing and if you do a lot of dry firing would the idea of buying a 2nd firing pin and shortening it slightly so it cant hit the face of the breech be any good?

It's mostly for dry firing with a SCATT sensor attached. I'm not 100% sure if a short firing pin would be enough to trigger the sensor. I can change the sensitivity of the sensor to pick up smaller/lighter clicks but then it starts "firing" when I close the bolt. :(

IRLConor, I see where both wouldn't suit your situation, ohh unless you could shout BANG as you squeeze off the shot, it might work eh lol

• Advertisement

IRLConor, I see where both wouldn't suit your situation, ohh unless you could shout BANG as you squeeze off the shot, it might work eh lol

Hah! I have to be careful with the SCATT if someone is live firing beside me. The noise of their shots is enough to trigger my sensor if I'm pointing at the target.

Yes I'd say it gives you great feed back. It would be a nice bit of kit to land at my range someday see how our Savages and CZ's and 1022's do, prone scope mag at 18 I,d say we would be all over the place lol

Yes I'd say it gives you great feed back. It would be a nice bit of kit to land at my range someday see how our Savages and CZ's and 1022's do, prone scope mag at 18 I,d say we would be all over the place lol

In the unlikely event that I'm up in your neck of the woods, I'll bring mine with me so you can have a go.

thanks it def would be a interesting and beneficial exercise

Advertisement