Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Miss Tribes

Options
  • 16-01-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I Miss Tribes

I think all the talk of Starbucks coming to the city center as reignited my nostalgia for the place.
    It was so chilled out with cool tunes, and it didn't seem to close, not to mention it had good coffee and food.

There is no where like it now, I sigh anytime I pass that take away that is in the building now.

It was a great place to meet people in the evening or go on a date, use to go there a lot when I first starting go out with my gf.

I've have yet to find anywhere else like it in Cork.
    Webworks House/Café Eco and Starbucks in Mahon just don't have the vibe.
    I miss my evening/late night coffees with good company or a good book!

Does anyone have any memories to share?
    Or found a good replacement places?

And please if you want to rant about Starbucks coming to Cork go to one of the other thread to do it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Used to love going there after a night out so relaxed in there hot chicken mmm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I miss tribes too.

I don't go out in the city often anymore but I really miss it now after a night out. Used to have a toasted sandwich and a cup of tea and have an actual conversation (albeit at that stage drunken) with my friends, something we couldn't do with the thumping noise in the clubs. The doorman was great craic too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

it was great until the final year before they closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

great spot many a 3am drunken conversations in there - they did a mean chicken Dijon !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Think the place had run it's course. Like the gingerbread house before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I used go there and stay late drinking hot chocolate with friends in the final year of my degree. Great times really. The recession just hitting then though so maybe they weren't "great" but on a personal level it held a special place in my heart. It doesn't seem dignified that it's a kebab shop now. Not that kebab shops are a bad thing but Tribes was on it's own level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

Was only thinking about this the other day. Was a lovely spot to go on a first date or after a movie.

The city does need a late opening cafe IMO. Hopefully another will open when Starbucks comes.

Fabio wrote: »
    I used go there and stay late drinking hot chocolate with friends in the final year of my degree. Great times really. The recession just hitting then though so maybe they weren't "great" but on a personal level it held a special place in my heart. It doesn't seem dignified that it's a kebab shop now. Not that kebab shops are a bad thing but Tribes was on it's own level.

I was in the kebab place once, definitely felt weird, but even weirder, the toilets were exactly the same, even down to the adverts on the doors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

It was nearly as hard to get in there as it was to some nightclubs. Place would be jammed and often we would have to wait for a spot to be able to get in and have a drunken chat after a night out.!!
    What years was it open and when did it close?

closed 2011 if i remember right. Not sure when it opened. possibly mid 90's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It was like Cork City's version of NY's Serendipity 3.

Nostalgia for the place could fuel the desire for more coffee houses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How come it closed? sounds like it was a very popular place and doing great business .

How come it closed? sounds like it was a very popular place and doing great business .

they raised their prices when the recession was really starting to bite. they also started closing earlier and earlier. People just stopped going there towards the end. It was a shame.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

It was up and running in 1996 when I first moved to the city,may have been open a while as it seemed pretty established.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭raydar

Theres still a few photos of the 2nd version of Tribes in trip advisor ~ i remember first being in there in 1996 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It was definitely open in 95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Think the place had run it's course. Like the gingerbread house before it.

What do you mean? There are some bars that haven't changed in years and somehow manage to trundle on.

Both of those places could still be going today if it wasn't for the landlords getting greedy with the rents when they could.

College students still need coffee, people still need alternatives to whatever bar is "in" that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What do you mean? There are some bars that haven't changed in years and somehow manage to trundle on.

Both of those places could still be going today if it wasn't for the landlords getting greedy with the rents when they could.

College students still need coffee, people still need alternatives to whatever bar is "in" that week.

I'm pretty sure that The Gingerbread House owned the building. I think it was the Gingerbread House that got greedy and lazy.
    Always increasing prices and falling quality is what put an end to that establishment. They were probably always waiting for the right time to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

It was definitely open in 95.

Its funny we used to drink in the bar across the road so was dead handy,i would think there is a market for another one even though times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I had my first hot chocolate in Tribes (well first hot chocolate that didnt come from a Cadbury's tin) and it was unreal.

Never been matched since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

It's good to see all the posts about Tribes. It was a great spot alright.
    Has anyone found an alternative?
    I like the Bookshelf Cafe on the South Mall and mentioned it to them about staying open late. It would be a good location as there are loads of pubs near by as well.
    I find myself having to hit Starbucks in Mahon for an evening coffee, which is fine but I miss the vibe that Tribes had.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

kafkas on maylor street had that post age 16+, college student vibe to it

Advertisement