Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to get a C3 in HL Irish in 5 months?

Options
  • 16-01-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Well lads/lassies!

Currently finishing off my degree in University and as fate has it, I think i'd be interested in someday going back to do Primary Teaching, unfortunately in my LC I did OL Irish and got an A1 in my exam.

My Irish i'd imagine has basically been evaporated at this stage, but i'm contemplating sitting the HL Paper in June to see how it goes, considering the Oral is worth 40% and I was always fairly strong at it.

Anyone got any advice of any books/notes/main areas to focus on to get the grade required? Any advice at all would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Well lads/lassies!

Currently finishing off my degree in University and as fate has it, I think i'd be interested in someday going back to do Primary Teaching, unfortunately in my LC I did OL Irish and got an A1 in my exam.

My Irish i'd imagine has basically been evaporated at this stage, but i'm contemplating sitting the HL Paper in June to see how it goes, considering the Oral is worth 40% and I was always fairly strong at it.

Anyone got any advice of any books/notes/main areas to focus on to get the grade required? Any advice at all would be appreciated!

What college are you in? It might be worth contacting the language centre in your college. Somebody might be able to give you a crash course in that time.

I'd say no to be honest though. You say you want to go back 'someday' so what's the rush to do it now? You're probably better off concentrating on your degree. Even if you studied Irish every day 9-5, you'd probably still struggle. Why not go back and do it next year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are considering it, make sure to get your application in soon.
    Please take time to investigate employment prospects for teaching too.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I'd say yes, it's very possible....PM me if you're in Dublin. If your oral work is good you just need someone to guide you through the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

spurious wrote: »
    If you are considering it, make sure to get your application in soon.
    Please take time to investigate employment prospects for teaching too.

Yeah I realise the poor job opportunities, to be completely honest I need to get an Education degree to co-inside with the Psychology degree i'm currently working on atm to get access to an Educational Psychology Masters Programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Yeah I realise the poor job opportunities, to be completely honest I need to get an Education degree to co-inside with the Psychology degree i'm currently working on atm to get access to an Educational Psychology Masters Programme.

If this is your only motivation and you have no real desire to teach, you'll be in for a shock if you ever get into a teacher training college! It's not all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. It's a lot of hard work and it's not for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If this is your only motivation and you have no real desire to teach, you'll be in for a shock if you ever get into a teacher training college! It's not all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. It's a lot of hard work and it's not for everyone.

Yeah both my sister and one of my friends are in teacher training colleges. You're looking at a lot of 9-5s and tonnes of coursework and homework. It's nearly a continuation of secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

thelad95 wrote: »
    Yeah both my sister and one of my friends are in teacher training colleges. You're looking at a lot of 9-5s and tonnes of coursework and homework. It's nearly a continuation of secondary school.

I'm in no way disputing the difficulty to get in and consequently complete the accelerated Degree Programme. I'm well used to working hard in university giving my degree choice, so i'm not to worried about my inability to cope with that aspect.

It is the only route I can go in order to achieve the career I want, so there's not much I can do other than give it a try I suppose?

Advertisement