Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Zealand Ski Jobs

• 16-01-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has worked in any of the ski resorts in New Zealand? Planning on heading over in June and would like find out if it's difficult getting a job, accommodation ect. Anyone had any good / bad experiences?

Comments

Hey there. I just came back from 2 years in New Zealand living mainly in Queenstown. Firstly..I'm so jealous. I had the time of my life there.

The main ski areas are in and around Queenstown. Applications on nzski.com normally open in March. They run 3 different mountains- Coronet Peak and The Remarkables in QT and Mt Hutt which is outside Christchurch. I would recommend sticking with QT (just my opinion though..)

There are also 2 more ski fields in Wanaka which is around 45 mins from Queenstown. It's a smaller town but the mountains are better. They are Cardona and Treble Cone. Head to their websites for job info.

Working on the mountains has it's ups and downs. Firstly it's nothing like ski seasons in Europe. You have to drive between 30-45 mins to get to the ski fields from QT and there is no on-mountain accommodation. If you work on the ski fields you get a free season pass and free transport which saves you a tonne of money! QT is a pretty small town so it does tend to be pretty hard to get somewhere to live at that time of the year. I recommend looking on trade.co.nz closer to the time. the hostels also tend to fill up but that's a great way to meet people and possibly eventually finding somewhere.

If you don't want to work on the ski fields then it's a different story. QT goes through a "shoulder season" before winter starts..there's a massive influx of people to town who want jobs but no tourists to warrant hiring extra staff. If you want a job in town for winter I'd recommend getting there in April. No one will hire in May and if you leave it until June it's a lot harder (In saying that most people eventually find a job)

I'd get as much money behind you as possible before heading out there. QT is the most expensive place in NZ. Definitely $3,000-$4,000 anyway and that should keep your head above water for a while.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You will LOVE it there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I already replied to your post in the other thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Hey aoifegall I've already filled out my details with nzski to "express interest" in getting a job. I think it really kicks off on 1st March. Would you have any recommendation of which resort to aim for between the Remarkables, Coronet Peak and Mt Hutt?

Advertisement