Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thoughts on Madrid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I thought it was great

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tmh106

If you are a culture vulture you will really enjoy it. Three world class museums all within walking distance of each other along the "Avenue of Art" - Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen. The big draw is Picasso's Guernica at the Reina Sofia, but for me, the Prado is a must visit for it's collections of Velázquez, Goya and El Greco paintings. It is huge so, so unless you plan repeat visits, best to try to research the collection in advance and decide what you would like to see (or buy an audio guide tour that will bring you through the highlights).

If art is not your thing, it's still a great city to visit. It's over ten years since I was there, but my recollection is that is is a very impressive city architecturally, wide boulevards, impressive buildings, large open public squares (or circles). Also has some good (and large) parks if you want to get away from the bustle of the city.

We were there in late spring/early summer and there was a very good vibe in the city, lots of people in public spaces, open air cafes. Of course if you like football you have both Real and Atletico. If you are there during the season one of them will be at home during the week, or mid-week you might get a Champions League match. I don't know how easy/difficult it is to get Real tickets, but I was able to get a ticket for Atletico on the day. Be warned though, if it's wet the terraces at Atletico's ground are not (or were not when I was there) covered.

Shopping was good, prices reasonable, though check menus at restaurants in advance - some expensive restaurants in the city centre, especially fish restaurants.

If you have been to Barcelona, Madrid is quite different. Barcelona I would describe as a fun, party city. Madrid is fun too, has good parties I'm sure, but it is less obvious than Barcelona - it's more formal, more businesslike. But definitely worth a visit.

Hope you enjoy if you go.

tmh

Advertisement