Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My study log

Options
  • 15-01-2015 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

After reading many study logs since September, i decided i'd give it ago. Hopefully this will help me focus a bit more and keep me motivated.

My plans for this week:
    English- Finished Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin notes.
    Irish-An gnathrud and caca milis spider diagrams
    Maths- Functions
    Spanish: Go through 2008 paper and go translate words i dont understand into note copy
    Biology: Human Reproduction/Respiration
    Business: global business chapter and Q3's
    Economics-Finish Oligopoly market structure notes and revise.

Mocks are fast approching and aiming for at least 500, which i think is achieveable. If i dont get that, it will give me a kick that maybe i need :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

What a hectic week. School timetable was a bit of a match, due to matches, plays, seminars, teachers not being in etc. Didn't do much for my timetable but anyway, I still tried to make it productive

LAST WEEK
    My plans for this week:
    English- Finished Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin notes.- Complete and happy with notes
    Irish-An gnathrud and caca milis spider diagrams- Didn't get much Irish done
    Maths- Functions-Brought home book two, so did trig instead for the week
    Spanish: Go through 2008 paper and go translate words i dont understand into note copy-Done, not a lot that I didn't understand, about 1/2 a page worth if words
    Biology: Human Reproduction/Respiration-completeHR isn't as bad as it looks in the book!
    Business: global business chapter and Q3's-Complete
    Economics-Finish Oligopoly market structure notes and revise.-complete

Last week before the start if my mocks. Really challenging my willpower avoiding the mock forms on this, but I know it won't do me any favours in the long run
    So, the plan for this week;

English-Reading the short story book I got out from the school library and make Othello and Iago notes

Irish-Homelessness notes and health care

Maths-Look over trig theorems and calculus (leaving functions for now as I feel I need to revise calculus more)

Biology- Experiments- hate them!

Spanish-idioms,food and clothes

Business-management skills/Activites and unit 5

Economics- history of economic thought, elasticity and one other topic

Today or yesterday wasn't a very productive day for study unfortunately, managed to make Othello spider diagram for appearance v reality and a bit on Iago. I'd rather an open type Othello question come up, as opposed to a character one. I just find it easier to structure I suppose.
    I attempted to do Irish but didn't go so well. I tried to look for meain cumarsaide essay and seandaoine, but couldn't find any that I'm happy with. If anybody has one please send it my way!
    Looked over photosynthesis tonight, and calculus in maths, but it was a bit of a struggle
    Really need to get my act together 😩

I always make predictions for any set of exams i do, so this is what i think/hope to get in the mocks.

Subject
    Before----After Exam
    Actual
    English
    B3
    Irish.
    C1
    Maths.
    D2
    Spanish.
    B1
    Business.---- A2
    Economics. --B1
    Biology.
    B3

Total

A bit optimistic But I dont think i will be far off, usually it is within a grade or two.
    It has been testing trying to avoid the mock threads on this.
    Fingers crossed for the next two weeks

Subject
    Before----After Exam
    Actual
    English
    B3
    B3
    Irish.
    C1
    Maths.
    D2
    Spanish.
    B1
    B3
    Business.---- A2
    A2
    Economics. --B1
    Biology.
    B3
    B1

Total

Week one of the mocks complete!
    Well a few surprises especially in Spanish. Usually I'd get b1s/a2 in spanish and i'll definately be going for the A1 in june but that mock paper was horrible. I think it was examcraft from what i heard. The sinomins(sp) were dreadful and the opinion speech was quite refined. I wrote about the lack of confidence can cause great problems for young people. I'm not to concerned about that and i managed to get 2 and a half pages. The listening was mad aswell.

Biology went surprisingly well :D

English wasn't too bed, but i think purpose might bring me down across a few sections :S

Maths section A was so good. I'd say i roughy got 110/150, but section B quickly brought me back to reality...

Business went well.Could be boarding a B1 but overall im happy with how i did.

Fingers crossed for next week :)

Subject
    Before----After Exam
    Actual
    English
    B3
    B3
    Irish.
    C1
    C2
    Maths.
    D2
    D3
    Spanish.
    B1
    B3
    Business.---- A2
    A2
    Economics. --B1
    A1
    Biology.
    B3
    B1

Total

A very optimistic after exam results, but hopefully i'm not too far off!
    midterm hasnt been very productive but i got some Robert Frost notes made so that is 3/8 poets complete. After Frost I'm thinking Emily Dickinson or Plath.

my irish oral is next week and i'm not overly confident about it so i just need to go over the pictures. i hate the way there are 20 of them and they're worth so much! I'm just going to use basic sentences for each, no point trying to form complex sentences and make a pile of errors! fingers crossed it doesnt go terribly !

• Advertisement

Subject
    Before----After Exam---Actual
    English
    B3
    B3
    Irish.
    C1
    C2
    C2 (65%)
    Maths.
    D2
    D3
    E 37.5% :(
    Spanish.
    B1
    B3
    B2(76% )
    Business.---- A2
    A2
    A1(94 : D)
    Economics. --B1
    A1
    Biology.
    B3
    B1----B2(79)

Total

So 5/7 of the results are in and the biggest disappointment was in maths, i passed paper 2 but failed paper 1 so close! A part of me wants to drop but Those extra 25 points though so im just going hell for leather now but it is tough, and also how the marking schemes are made gives me a bit of hope 😩!

I did a rubbish Irish paper but i do feel quite hard done but that said I got an A in the oral :D
    Spanish oral i got 94% and the external examiner said there is no reason why i shouldnt have got 100/100, maybe just to keep me grounded hahah

Quite a tough week, still exhausted after the mocks, anyway, the plan for this week;

Maths- Complex numbers and intergration, both let me down in the mocks. Need to get my head around complex numbers, starting from scratch!

English- Going to wait until result and see what i need to do.

Irish- Pictures 1-7

Spanish- Mock vocab on written paper.

Economics- Wait until i get a result.

Biology- Genetics and plants.

Business - Unit 6-2 chapters.

Fat chance ill get this all complete 😩

Subject
    Before----After Exam---Actual
    English
    B3
    B3
    Irish.
    C1
    C2
    C2
    Maths.
    D2
    D3
    E 37.5%
    Spanish.
    B1
    B3
    B2
    Business.---- A2
    A2
    A1
    Economics. --B1
    A1
    A1
    Biology.
    B3
    B1----B2

Total

Got economics back but im still waiting on english. I'll get it back tomorrow so ill just edit this post and finish off the grid and be able to put this mocks to bed.

I was bed bound all week and got basically zero study done. The worst part was missing school, I hate missing it this close.

Anyway, I only managed to get a few things ticked off the list. them being business and irish.

Plan for this week.
    English- Wait for paper// Imagery and symbols in Othello notes.

Irish- Essay and find a way to bring it up in my oral- if yous understand what i am trying to say.
    Pictures 8-14

Maths- complex numbers...i might drop this week :(:(

Spanish- Same as last week.

Biology- plants. Decided im going to leave out the genetics chapter. thank god for choice.

business- finish unit 6

economics- study for test.
    36 days until the irish oral...

Got a C2 in English bringing my total to 495, Happy with that but there is still room for improvement.

Managed to get everything but maths completes and an extra spanish opinion piece the title was something like young people treat their homes like a hotel-or something like that, from the 2002 paper, and an Othello question from the back of my book, something like 'all the major characters make mistakes throughout the play which lead to fatal consequences' or something like that. If anybody wants the actual quote Pm me. Also got a lot of irish oral notes made
    Maths has been such a struggle :(

Anyway, the plan for this week;
    English- Start Emily Dickinson- the last poet i will be studying.
    Irish- Pictures 14-20 and comhra--- 29 days until orals.
    Maths- just do something
    Spanish- do a practice listening and another opinion piece and the idioms i found this week-learn them.
    Business-ill do something not sure yet
    Economics- Common short questions and answers.

29 days until 40% of the irish leaving cert exam...

looked at Emily dickinson's poetry and found it very complicated and complex. Anyway so i decided instead im going to do W.B Yeats, meaning the I've all the Irish poets covered + Frost. Has there been a year where there hasn't been at least one Irish poet?
    Got another Othello question complete, in the previous one i got 60% :/ Anyway this one the question was ' if the play was to teach one lesson, it is that human judgement can't be trusted' Discuss.
    Got a spanish opinion peice done from 2010 'el silencio no existe en el mundo moderno.' For the first time ever i completely disagreed with the statement. i got an A1 for it :)
    Also i finished all the irish pictures notes, just have to learn them fully now, and also work on my comhra. I hope Irish will be the subject that I dont count, but just incase i need to do well in the oral, because my written Irish is very poor.

Anyway plan for this week;

English- Section B and read more short stories.
    Irish- Oral
    Maths- Financial Maths
    Spanish- Oral+ roleplays
    Biology- Mock on friday so heres what im doing
    Day 1)Heart , blood,circulaton, plants, cell division,tissue and germination.
    Day 2)Hormones, nervious system,food,excretion
    Day3)Ecology,photosynthesis,respiration
    Day4)Cell, osomosis,scientific method,skeleton and evolution, human reproduction.
    Day5)Viruses,fingi,bacteria,protista.
    should keep me busy! I wont get everything covered in detail but i hope for a b1, one subgrade up from my mocks.
    Business-Q2's, governement and the economy chapter
    Economics-Business revision is part of economics so.

3 weeks until Irish oral :s

Made my study timetable for week 1 of Easter. Really hopping for two productive weeks.
    I went back to business today after a month off it, except class work, to concentrate on other subjects.
    I was surprised to see how slow i was and how much i needed to look back at my notes. Definitely cannot afford to get complacent in business and economics, particularly this close.
    My Irish oral is the Thursday we get back, going to concentrate on my other subjects this week, and give Irish and spanish priority next week.
    I downloaded two mock papers online, in spanish in business with the marking scheme and im going to give them a go this week under exam conditions.
    I'll probably post back here during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 LCBanter

Brilliant mocks well done!

How do you study business,seeing as you're doing so well? 😊

LCBanter wrote: »
    Brilliant mocks well done!

How do you study business,seeing as you're doing so well? 😊

Thank you!
    I saw the thread you started about business and the advice is good there but what i say is layout is crucial. Always;
    State
    Explain+ try give and advantage
    Example, always! No matter how basic.

And if the question verb is evaluate you need to write maybe two/three lines opinion. I always do it separately from the question with evaluation written beside it just to be sure they see it! Evaluations are worth usually 5 marks and appear numerous times on the paper!

I make my own notes and i constantly update the with examples/marking scheme definitions. Also use different resourses if you can, not just your own book. I've a revision type, its only ok, not great. Personally i like mocks.ie business notes, but they send them as a soft cope, but you should be able to print them out

Also last thing, know what Questions correspond to each chapter like Q1-unit 1 Q2-unit 6 etc.
    Good luck!

Easter was quite productive, got a lot of biology covered and business aswell.
    Irish oral this week, so that is all ive been doing pretty mich the last few days.
    If anybody has anything on water charges in irish please send them my way!
    And then spanish the week after.
    Go n-eidi an t-ádh libh

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

Codswapple wrote: »
    Easter was quite productive, got a lot of biology covered and business aswell.
    Irish oral this week, so that is all ive been doing pretty mich the last few days.
    If anybody has anything on water charges in irish please send them my way!
    And then spanish the week after.
    Go n-eidi an t-ádh libh
    Do you mind sending me your notes on water charges? Thanks.

I ment i was looking for them aswell. Sorry

Had my oral this week, it went ok i suppose.

Sort of bit off more than i can chew in a way. I basically straight away talked about water charges after talking about the area. From then on in everything was very topical. She caught me out one or twice.
    Basically it went: area--water charges--sports and drugs with sport(asked me if drugs was a problem in our school) -- coras slainte-- tar eis na hardteist-- gaelteach( dug myself a massive hole here)

Managed to get 1/2 MC and 3 seanfhocials.
    Probably am being a bit tough on myself but she asked me curveballs that i didnt have a clue about?
    My teacher was listening through the door and said i did very well, but even if it went horribly bad, i suppose she'd still say that haha.

Spanish next week so hopefully i can report back something a bit more positively!

Had spanish today and I'm very happy with how it went. I was so panicky the few days before hand, but thanks to my teacher she calmed me down and reminded me to breath and blink haha.
    Anyway got a good few subjuctive phases in, theyre not necessary but thankfully i managed to get afew in.
    I had the inspector sitting in on me. I wonder if it worked in my favour or not. Did the examiner give me a higher mark than the inspector or vice versa?

So close until English paper one. anyway plan for the next while;

English-paper one, thomas hardy.
    Irish-essays-old people,technology,young people.
    Maths- A lot of maths to do?
    Spanish- mock papers.
    Economics-mock paper and update macro notes.
    Business-Unit 1-definately wont be doing long question 1, but need to know it for short Qs
    Biology-mock paper and fungi,plants,sexual reproduction.

Ive been exhausting myself the past few days. I feel drained most days. School hasnt been very productive in classes tbh. But anyway i feel like im in a good position.

English- hoping for 1)frost 2)ENC 3)Montague 4)Hardy in that order. Im happy with my comparative notes also and Othello im not too worried, but i am worried for the essay. I know we are told not to learn essays but i feel like it is the only way.

Irish-Along with english, irish is my worst subject. Im preparing the media and old people as essays. I could answer young people problems if it came up. The only way i can learn Irish is learn it off my heart unfortunately. An triail has been ignored so i need to focus on that. Praying that colscaradh/geibheann and gnathrud come up.

Maths- Ive been doing a lot of maths study lately. Finally got my head around complex numbers. I learned theorems 12 and 13 and a lot of the geometry definitions. A bit optimistic but im going for a C2.

Biology- Ive been doing a lot of biology mock papers myself and i find it helps. There are a few chapters i just cant seem to get my head around like fungi for some reason. If everything goes well for me hopefully id get an A2

Business- need to get an A1. I putit off for a while and found myself forgetting how to do a breakeven chart! Constantly reading over notes now,just need to start doing questions more! The 10 points between an A1 and an a2 is frightening.

Economics- updated all my macro notes now moving onto micro notes. Praying for oligopoly! Again, i need an A1 but only 2.2% of students got an A1 in 2013 which is scary.

Spanish- ive been doing a lot of mock papers and they can be quiet challenging but im definately getting better at that. I think an A2 is more realisitic than an A1.

I realised 3 A2's is the same as two A1's and one C1..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

You're not the only one pondering about reusing a previous essay for the English Composition! I did that for the mocks, I've a pretty bad imagination, and would probably waste buckets of time trying to think of a good story. As for the other options, I don't know I could write 4 pages or so on an argument.

The A1 percentage scares me for Economics also! I don't get what is it that makes the rate so low. The mocks were reasonable and I got the A1, maybe they mark it harder in the LC? I don't know.

• Advertisement

Just looked at my above post and all the poets i wanted came up :D

Anyway, week 1 over, and it wasnt as bad as expected.

English paper 1 was only alright. Section B was a bit rushed and section A was mediocre , id say i couldve got a C2/C1

English paper 2 was such a nice paper! Was hoping on a woman question and the notes i was looking over before was 'the women in othello are portrayed in a positive light' which was basically the strenghts of desdemona/emilia. Took a big risk only comparing theme/issue and Robert frost question wasnt too bad, only managed to write about 4 poems, wouldve liked a fifth!

I was surprising calm for maths this morning for some reason considering i failed maths paper 1 mock. Section A was nice, and section B was challenging in parts but i wrote stuff for everything. I feel i made a few mistakes compared to other peoples answers, but my method was right so hopefully i'll get medium- partial. Hopefully a b3 overall :)
    Also said t=120 instead of 119 so im raging with that.

Hopefully maths paper 2 goes well, going to look over theorms,constructions and trig proofs. Hopefully a long stats Q :)
    Since english went well, i think irish is going to be the bare minimum, basically only the predicted stuff.
    Biology I'm going to concetrate a lot on biology, hopefully a nice paper.

Hope the first week was kind to everybody and best of luck in the rest.

Have a day off so I get to rest for a bit.

Had maths paper 2- definitely more challenging than paper 1. No long stats question and very geometry heavy :( but still managed to work through it and write something for everything, even if it is wrong, hopefully a c1 overall.

Irish- paper one was so nice, got away with my mean cumarscaide essay :D paper two today wasn't go great. I should have had more prepared but I just didn't. Comforting knowing that the prose and poetry are only 5% each so maybe a c1/b3 overall.

Biology- what the hell was that paper. Very confusing in parts. I usually fly through short questions but they were horrible. The sucrose one especially. Though the experiments were meant to be on the course. We never did a tadpole one!? Put my other 2 was somewhat decent.

Business is my next exam so hopefully that goes well.

Hope everybody is finding the exams not too bad

Business last week went pretty well so fingers crossed.
    Had spanish today and quite happy, maybe an A2 but possible i got get one higher.
    Economics in the morning so hoping that its a nice paper, have a feeling it will be :)

Possibly my last post but If i come back to this is August or not, best or luck to everybody with results and next year.

Advertisement