Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finish

Options
  • 15-01-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some wood finishes. Recently started turning and have very little knowledge of finishes. Firstly can you recommend the name of something standard that can be used on majority of bowls or spindles that would be good to have in the locker. Secondly can you recommend something that is safe to use with food. I.e I recently made a pestle and mortar, and I'd like to finish it with something that will give it a nice appearance but is also safe to come in contact with food.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

delaney001 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend some wood finishes. Recently started turning and have very little knowledge of finishes. Firstly can you recommend the name of something standard that can be used on majority of bowls or spindles that would be good to have in the locker. Secondly can you recommend something that is safe to use with food. I.e I recently made a pestle and mortar, and I'd like to finish it with something that will give it a nice appearance but is also safe to come in contact with food.

Thanks

Liquid paraffin (or mineral oil as the Yanks like to call it) is food safe. This can be bought in a gallon drum in a farmers co - op as they use if as a laxative for cattle. The drum should cost no more than 20 euro. Chestnut Wood finishes sell the exact same oil as food safe oil and sell it for something like 12 euro for a 500ml bottle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ikea sell mineral oil (for chopping boards); less than a fiver for half a litre.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00046786/

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Thanks to both of ye. Great answers

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

All you'll ever need to know about finishing...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I like the following ...

Friction polish for a relatively high gloss on small to medium sized pieces. Either a liquid friction polish for the smaller pieces or a paste version (U-Beaut Shellawax) for larger pieces. http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm

Organoil Hi-Speed Finishing Oil is my finish of choice for large, more open grained pieces, and produces a lovely natural feeling sheen to the wood, and doesn't mask it's natural beauty IMO. http://www.organoil.com.au/woodcraft/index.html

Neither is a 'permanent' high gloss finish like many lacquers which are just too shiny for my liking, but they do require a little ongoing maintenance either with a good quality wax or oil to maintain the finish as they where when 'new'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement