Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Update on free travel with your Leap Card

Options
  • 15-01-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

It is still free to use your leap card on most of Bus Eireann Express-Way services.
    If you look here http://www.jgtsltd.co.uk/Wayfarer_baseplates_modules.html
    you will see the type of machines they use. The one on the left with the small long slim screen is the old one (most of the buses have them). This cannot be used for the leap card. so no money is deducted from your card. but the driver has to take you on board. They cant afford to buy the big screen ones at the moment and I believe it will be sometime before this will ever happen. So enjoy:D It would be worth getting a leap card just to use on Bus Eireann Buses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

When Bus Éireann rolled out Leap Card tickets on all routes in the greater Dublin area in May 2014 they started issuing zonal tickets on Leap cards for my route instead of the traditional point to point credit card type tickets.

During May 2014, it became apparent that of the twenty odd services that I could take each day, only two of them were run with buses equipped with modern Wayfarer machines capable of reading Leap cards. The result of this was that my monthly ticket was only valid on those two services each day. When boarding the majority of services the drivers informed me that I could either buy a ticket with cash or get left behind. After two weeks of this, Bus Éireann eventually agreed to replace the Leap card ticket with a traditional point to point ticket.

From June 2014 onwards, Bus Éireann resumed issuing monthly tickets in the traditional format for my route and stopped issuing the Leap card tickets. Anyone who purchases Leap card tickets now will be left behind on my route if they refuse to stump up the cash for a ticket on the bus.

In short, there's no free rides using Leap cards on my Bus Éireann route with the older machines, so I find it odd that the OP claims different rules are being applied on other routes with the same machines! I certainly wouldn't board a bus based solely on the below quote!
    reggaeman wrote: »
    ...but the driver has to take you on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

I can assure you that all drivers with the old machine will take you with the leap card. If you get the odd driver that says you cant' then just stand your ground. You tell him to contact the garage he is working from and he will be told to accept the card. You see its not the passenger who is at fault here. Bus Eireann must accept your card as instructed by the N.T.A (National Transport Authority). Its BE'S own fault for not installing the machines. This is all part of their licence. So please feel free to use all Bus Eireann services with or without the proper machines. I know what I'm talking about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

LEAP isn't valid on Expressway - only the PSO services.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

lxflyer wrote: »
    LEAP isn't valid on Expressway - only the PSO services.

This is an important point. They are valid on commuter services in the greater Dublin area (and city services in Cork and Galway) listed here: http://buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=375#routes, zonal map: http://buseireann.ie/pdf/1403538216-Zonal-Map-2014.pdf

However OP is right about services on which Leap is enabled having to take you if you have a Leap card even if they don't have the new type machine.

Advertisement