Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your rate of improvement?!

Options
  • 15-01-2015 9:53pm

Just wondering about the levels of progression most on here have.

I got my board a fair few years ago now.
    I've played for maybe 3/4 months per year for at least 3 of them and in those months I'd have put in a fair amount of practice in fairness.

After a fair period of non use, I went back to it again last week.
    Trying to commit to 30mins on average a day for the entire year and see where that gets me.

I know leaving it for a while can't be helping but I feel as though for all the effort I put in previous I never really got anywhere.

I read about people getting 180s within a few weeks/months of starting, and while I never usually threw for 20s in my first few periods(I always thought if I can't go around the board easily then I'm wasting my time with everything else) I've thrown a considerable amount at that area in total and never hit one, only had it on 2/3 times and my aim is so wayward it would be a fluke now.

When I'm aiming for 20s, Im just as likely to hit the 25... 12...18... even as far wide as a 4 or 9.... I could live with 5 and 1s but being that far off after all the combined time is extremely frustrating and seems below par from reading others comments.
    Throwing at the bottom of the board (t19s even) I still miss the board entirely though in that regard I'm usually on-line but just completely under throw, this hasn't improved since day 1.

My main miss seems to be a wide left rather than right.... I just can't get any consistent release even though I know what I should be doing, sometimes I can feel my release stop in the middle(if that makes sense) and pull back or the dart just comes off the fingers awful and wide left.

I've changed grips countless times to try to address the release(though as I've said the follow through often goes astray too).. I started with 3 fingers and have worked my way down to being able to throw with just two now but haven't noticed any major difference.

Have moved onto 18s from 24s a few days ago and will at least plug away with them for while.

Just interested to see what rates others have progressed.... surely after hours and hours of throwing you should be at least able to get the dart to within an asses roar of where you're aiming and not still throw like a complete beginner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mykillokneel

I can be like that also, sometimes might not play for 6 months then pick it up and remember back to hitting good scores and wondering why it's not happening

You have to enjoy it first off, no point practising for 30 mins everyday if you think it'll make you better, practise everyday cause you want to. I throw best when relaxed but concentrated but still am average at best. I've been playing best part of 20 years on and off (mostly off) and only at home never competition and haven't improved much. I used to think that darts was one of the only sports that you could practise and practise and be good (snooker also) but now realise you need at least some natural ability hand eye coordination etc

If you enjoy it id say practice is the only way you'll get any better. Find a throw that your comfortable with and stick to it if you keep changing you'll be back to square one each time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

1. Get tungsten darts. The barrel is thinner so can fit easier in the trebles.
    2. Make sure your throw is consistent, your aim should change but the motion should stay the same.

What I used to do was have an imaginary line from the most left/right double and try and hit that vertical line. That ensures your throwing straight. Then focus on trying to hit the double.

I know when I throw the dart rolls out of my hand, I know some people can just kind of pinch it and throw, which leads to a floppy dart mid air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'll start off with my own experience and then give you my advice.

I've been throwing darts on and off since I was 11. First set of darts we had were a brass set which were awkward as hell but I got used to them. I used to play with my father at home and generally just messing around with them. When I was 16/17 I started taking it a bit more seriously and started to develop my throw which over the years has changed from standing side on, to the left of the board, to the right of the board and directly straight at it.

Now my biggest problem is I drift to the left when throwing, When I've released the dart my arm is pointing at the 12, It's something I've just had to accept because whenever I've tried to counter it, it doesn't feel natural and it's uncomfortable. I stand slightly right to the board now directly in front of the 1/18, this helps the drift and I've just practised a lot so when I release the dart it lands in the 20.

I've only just started back throwing 2 weeks ago after not picking up a dart for 2 and a half years, It takes a while to get back into it and it can be frustrating because you know you can throw well enough but your rusty and you have to be patience.

Now with yourself, make sure you have a solid stance and your not in an uncomfortable position. Make sure your elbow isn't dropping when your throwing the dart, this can add to the drift and the reason also why your dart is dropping down. With the grip all I can suggest is whatever you feel comfortable with, settle on a grip and stick with it. Also make sure your not gripping the dart too tightly, if this happening you won't release the dart properly.

I one last few bits of advice practice and patience, your not going to become a good player by throwing for a few months in the year, You have to keep at it. Also don't get frustrated, a darts player's worst enemy is himself and if you start beating yourself up then you won't get anywhere.

Oh and I'm no expert so the advice I gave you mightn't be any use to you but I hope it helps some bit :D;)

Advertisement