Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chaser

Options
  • 15-01-2015 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I have it in my head that a "chaser" is a small glass of cold whiskey taken BEFORE drinking a pint of Guinness.

is this correct ? or am I totally wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I could be wrong, have never indulged in it... I thought it was a shot of something you had while waiting for your Guinness to be poured \ settle.

As an aside, the comedian Adam Hills does a brilliant sketch where the whisky is chasing after him and when it catches up with him... legless...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, have never indulged in it... I thought it was a shot of something you had while waiting for your Guinness to be poured \ settle.

As an aside, the comedian Adam Hills does a brilliant sketch where the whisky is chasing after him and when it catches up with him... legless...

yeah so thats the same as what im saying...... a whiskey before a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Huh?! Before!?
    A chaser is a drink, typically a spirit, that you get with your pint/drink that you do not touch until you have finished your pint. Hence why it is called a 'chaser'. As in it chases the first drink.

I'm not much of a chaser person myself (I usually chase my pints with another pint) but I thought this was obvious. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

slayerking wrote: »
    Huh?! Before!?
    A chaser is a drink, typically a spirit, that you get with your pint/drink that you do not touch until you have finished your pint. Hence why it is called a 'chaser'. As in it chases the first drink.

I'm not much of a chaser person myself (I usually chase my pints with another pint) but I thought this was obvious. :confused:

I always remember aul lads 30 years ago having a whiskey before their pint of guinness and always thought it was called a chaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So maybe if you have the whiskey (or whisky) before the beer, the beer is chasing the whiskey... ? So it's a beer chaser?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I always remember aul lads 30 years ago having a whiskey before their pint of guinness and always thought it was called a chaser.

The aul lad was just chasing the previous pint before he started a new one.
    Its a vicious cycle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The beer is the chaser. It's the same as Americans ordering bourbon with a beer back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The beer is the chaser.

I think there's something to this, isn't there a pretty famous Jazz album called "Straight, no chaser" - this to me suggests a straight spirit (there is no such thing as a straight beer), with nothing after.

It doesn't make sense in any other terms.

also, another musical reference

Cause I've got friends in low places
    Where the whiskey drowns
    And the beer chases my blues away

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Seems to depend on which side of the pond you're on...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/chaser

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think the clue is in the name. Have you ever chased someone from the front?

I think there's something to this, isn't there a pretty famous Jazz album called "Straight, no chaser" - this to me suggests a straight spirit (there is no such thing as a straight beer), with nothing after.

It doesn't make sense in any other terms.
    "Straight" means no ice or water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement