Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length and quality of an srp

Options
  • 15-01-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

hi, can someone confirm if this essay is a full marker. Have been talking to some people and they say an srp must be around 3 lines. Can someone please review and inform me, have attached a sample essay

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can't see the actual question, but did you not include any diagrams?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

apologies, it will be a fluvia landform of erosion. it is on a different sheet, your usual diagram, plunge pool, hard/soft rock, undercutting, headward erosion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

With diagrams, I can't see anything much you've left out.
    There is no rule about 3 lines for SRPs.

This is what the marking scheme says (as a guideline to correctors):
    For the purpose of marking a Significant Relevant Point (SRP) is a single piece of factual information, to which an examiner will assign a mark weighting as prescribed in the marking scheme (typically 2 marks).

so in your own opinion would i have at least 15 srp's in that essay? would some be too small and would take 2 bullet points as an srp. On the day these will be written out in essay form so would be easier to say 2 bullet points is one then

How many marks were going for the question?
    It is really difficult to assess an answer without knowing the allocation of marks and what the actual wording of the question was.

• Advertisement

apologies,

Landform Development
    Answer (i) or (ii).
    (i) Explain the formation of one landform of erosion and one landform of deposition
    that you have studied.
    Or
    (ii) Describe and explain two processes of mass movement that you have studied.

Landform of erosion named 2 marks
    Landform of deposition named 2 marks
    Formation landform of erosion 6/7 x SRPs
    Formation landform of deposition 6/7 x SRPs

For each landform credit relevant labelled diagram for 1 x SRP.
    Diagram without labelling 0 marks.
    For each landform credit extra relevant information on labelled diagram for
    1 x SRP.
    Credit a max of 1 x SRP per landform if merely a description of each
    landform with no reference to formation.
    Credit 2 x SRP for examples, one example of each landform.
    Credit 1 x SRP per landform for explanation of a named process. All further
    discussion of processes must be tied to formation of the landform.

You would only need 7 SRPs in an answer to that question, as the landform of erosion (waterfall) is only half the answer. You have more than enough in the example posted.

apolgies my mistake i didnt fully read the question, i meant a question with only erosion in question,

Explain with the aid of a labelled diagram(s) the formation of one landform of
    erosion that you have studied.

Named landform 2 marks
    Labelled diagram 4 marks (graded 4/2/0)
    Explanation 12 x SRPs
     Credit extra relevant information on labelled diagram for 2 x SRPs
     Diagram without labelling 0 marks
     Credit 1 x SRP for two named examples from explanation.

apologies again, that is the correct one

With good diagrams, I think you'd be unlucky not to get full marks on that.

I can't think of anything you've left out, except possibly giving some examples of hard and soft rock types where it has occurred?
    You can put small quickly drawn diagrams in among your answer if you like.

• Advertisement

brilliant to hear thank you for that, another teacher in my school was saying srp is 3 lines and full answer should be minimum one and half pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

RoRo979 wrote: »
    brilliant to hear thank you for that, another teacher in my school was saying srp is 3 lines and full answer should be minimum one and half pages.

An SRP is a relevant fact/ statistic with an explanation, so anywhere between 2-3 lines is good.
    Our essays range in length from 1.5 to 4 pages
    Just posting that for a contrast

RoRo979 wrote: »

They are correcting SRPs, not lines.

Advertisement