Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weigh-in broken car's body?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a Focus ST170 a year ago for a project car I'm building, and having taken out all the bits I wanted, including hubs, uprights etc, and sold anything I could, I'm now left with ~800kg of iron I want rid of.

Now, if the car could easily be towed or pushed, I could just call any number of men with trailers to come get it. I

However, as I needed the 'legs', I've taken a grinder to it and chopped it into nice manageable pieces for weigh-in. There are no fluids, pipes or plastics still attached.
    They're currently taking up space in a relatives garden, and I've been told to get rid this weekend.

Are there any scrapyards or metal dealers in or around Dublin (northside ideally) that'd take and pay for car metal? Last time I did this I ended up giving away a whole Puma shell for zilch.

Thoughts on recycling the interior plastics? I can't get a straight answer on whether they're recyclable.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

any bits still for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Hi all,

I bought a Focus ST170 a year ago for a project car I'm building, and having taken out all the bits I wanted, including hubs, uprights etc, and sold anything I could, I'm now left with ~800kg of iron I want rid of.

Now, if the car could easily be towed or pushed, I could just call any number of men with trailers to come get it. I

However, as I needed the 'legs', I've taken a grinder to it and chopped it into nice manageable pieces for weigh-in. There are no fluids, pipes or plastics still attached.
    They're currently taking up space in a relatives garden, and I've been told to get rid this weekend.

Are there any scrapyards or metal dealers in or around Dublin (northside ideally) that'd take and pay for car metal? Last time I did this I ended up giving away a whole Puma shell for zilch.

Thoughts on recycling the interior plastics? I can't get a straight answer on whether they're recyclable.

Someone might want interior plastics. It's amazing what people need.
    You shouldn't have much trouble getting it collected, but someone paying you for a shell and collecting, I can't see happening. Car shells are only worth 40 or 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Hi all,

there should be a few scrap metal yards around, they usually pay around 120e a ton for scrap metal.....

somewhere like
    http://www.euroscrapmetal.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

You shouldn't have much trouble getting it collected, but someone paying you for a shell and collecting, I can't see happening. Car shells are only worth 40 or 50 quid.

£80 a ton, todays rate

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

dgt wrote: »
    £80 a ton, todays rate

Cheers all, that's very useful. I have a 16ft transporter and a 6x4 trailer with sides, so I'll be bringing it to them rather than having them collect.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    any bits still for sale?

A few bits and pieces, not sure what the rules on linking to your own ads here is so I'll play it safe. Search for Focus ST170, I'm case_sensitive over there too.

Well, most of it is cheap or free over on Adverts. But runs to the dump are starting first thing saturday morning, so time's running out.

A few bits and pieces, not sure what the rules on linking to your own ads here is so I'll play it safe. Search for Focus ST170, I'm case_sensitive over there too.

you are OK linking to an adverts.ie ad on here I beleive. I had a look and saw nothing I need enough to drie to Dublin to get. I hope you manage to sell a few more bits anyway.

corktina wrote: »
    you are OK linking to an adverts.ie ad on here I beleive. I had a look and saw nothing I need enough to drie to Dublin to get. I hope you manage to sell a few more bits anyway.

A couple of bits and pieces left
    http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/breaking-ford-focus-st170-inc-two-tone-leather-interior/3448487

robtri wrote: »
    there should be a few scrap metal yards around, they usually pay around 120e a ton for scrap metal.....

somewhere like
    http://www.euroscrapmetal.ie/

Gave them a call there, and result, they're happy to take metal that's come from a car (a few said no the second I mentioned it was car-scrap). Thanks

• Advertisement

Gave them a call there, and result, they're happy to take metal that's come from a car (a few said no the second I mentioned it was car-scrap). Thanks

Interesting experience with TD Euro Scrap Metal today. My 1283kg Focus ST170 3dr, less engine, gearbox, seats and wheels somehow weighed 490kg. Erosion's a b1tch, eh? €0.11 per kg for mixed steel 17/01.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Interesting experience with TD Euro Scrap Metal today. My 1283kg Focus ST170 3dr, less engine, gearbox, seats and wheels somehow weighed 490kg. Erosion's a b1tch, eh? €0.11 per kg for mixed steel 17/01.

What else did you take out? When I send cars for scrapping I generally leave them as bare shells ie no looms, carpet, plastics or glass. The odd time I have to turn it quick and I'll send a car with no drivetrain but packed with general scrap.

Todays rate is £85 for shells. Just goes to show the miserable c*nts here have to begrudingly have to match NI prices. They would always collect the car and pay an agreed price where the c*nts here would charge to bring it away :rolleyes:

Was the weighbridge zeroed? Did you get a docket? What was it put down as and did you get an elv cert....?

What else did you take out? When I send cars for scrapping I generally leave them as bare shells ie no looms, carpet, plastics or glass. The odd time I have to turn it quick and I'll send a car with no drivetrain but packed with general scrap.

Todays rate is £85 for shells. Just goes to show the miserable c*nts here have to begrudingly have to match NI prices. They would always collect the car and pay an agreed price where the c*nts here would charge to bring it away :rolleyes:

Was the weighbridge zeroed? Did you get a docket? What was it put down as and did you get an elv cert....?
    as I recall, it was a UK re car

I brought the V5C with me, they didn't ask for it. I filled in a form and the guy didn't even want the reg of the car I'd cut up, but did ask my name (no ID) and to record the reg of the towing vehicle (my aunt's).

And the process went like this; drive towing vehicle with trailer full of car (twice) onto weighbridge, unload, re-weigh the towing vehicle and empty trailer.
    There's a sign in the office that says don't go past the yellow line, which is where the readout for the scales is. First weigh was a joke, entire floor pan, front and rear subframes, wishbones an all, apparently 140kg.
    The car was stripped bare, but the doors, bonnet, boot were all included.
    I reckon I was done to the tune of about 40% give or take. Now, here's the rub, I wanted rid of the shell, and if the per kg price was lower and the weight honest, I'd have been reasonably ok with it. But that's some shady business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

FYI, a weigh bridge needs to be legal for use in trade under an eu directive. This is enforced by Legal Metrology /NSAI. If you feel you were done, you should complain. Legal metrology should be visiting these guys annually in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

£80 a ton, todays rate

Where do you get your rates from ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smiggy

i brought in a 2001 astra no engine , gearbox wheels or bonnet €45
    97 mr2 no engine , gearbox wheels €45
    hannond lane athlone

discodavie wrote: »
    Where do you get your rates from ??

Sounds right, my 'docket' which was a printout of the excel spreadsheet they did for me, said €0.11 per kg, which is €110 a ton.

336011.JPG

Advertisement