Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullsheet insurance companies!

Options
  • 15-01-2015 5:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Anyone else getting absolutely bull**** renewal quotes or quotes in general this year?

Im 25 driving a 1.6 ford focus... ive made no claims ever and on my 5th yr NCB never had a crash, no penalty points, full Irish driving license ect

Last year my insurance for a full year was 600 euros, this years quotes tho are laughable, my renewal came in with FBD 1200, Quotes with Axa 1300, 123.ie 2100 euros

The woman with the mustache in insurance place told me insurance has " went up a little bit alright"! im baffled by this! my insurance has doubled for no reason what so ever!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

It's been fairly widely circulated that insurance costs are on the rise across the board due to losses, increased claims, etc. See this thread which might explain a bit more http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057356381

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

evo2000 wrote: »
    The woman with the mustache in insurance place!

Always good to have all the vital background information as regard the decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

yes OP same sort of thing here - they gave me some ridiculous renewal quote so I called up and said wtf and they said fair enough, heard of it happening to others too. Must be this years awesome new managerial concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anyone else getting absolutely bull**** renewal quotes or quotes in general this year?

I changed insurer because of this nonsense. I have a NCB for 10+ years and I was with my old insurer for 5 years. Last summer when they gave me a renewal quote, they basically added 40% to the cost of the policy. So I swiftly found a much cheaper quote elsewhere and told my old insurer to get lost.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

My sister hasn't switched her provider in 20 years, still with FBD cause the father was, whatever quote they send out she just pays it without query.
    Last year she paid €620 to insure a 1 litre Toyota Yaris & she's never made a claim.

My wife, who's had 3 claims against her in the past 10 years pays €330 with Aviva on a Mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

My car insurance was a reasonable €0, this year.

Just one of the little bonuses of not being a possessor of an automobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I changed ours as I had to insure the family car in the wife's name otherwise her NCB would have expired. Last year fully comp on a C-Max was 330, this year it was 345. I can live with that.

700 to insure my MX5 on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Oh... So no one's going to insurance my cows' bedclothes?

Sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

My renewal was up 50%

Shopped around and the best I could get was a 33% increase on last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

My sister hasn't switched her provider in 20 years, still with FBD cause the father was, whatever quote they send out she just pays it without query.
    Last year she paid €620 to insure a 1 litre Toyota Yaris & she's never made a claim.

My wife, who's had 3 claims against her in the past 10 years pays €330 with Aviva on a Mondeo.

Thats crazy.. haha yaris must be high risk these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am afraid of renewal this year. They increased it last year and I had to take it in as no one else wants to insure my car... This year I am pretty much Liberties Bitch. :(

Any good sites for cheap insurance ? ive tried fbd axa 123.ie chill and aviva no joy each ones as bad as the next :( also anyone ever go to brokers ? is there much to be saved going to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Im 25 driving a 1.6 ford focus... ive made no claims ever and on my 5th yr NCB never had a crash, no penalty points, full Irish driving license ect

Last year my insurance for a full year was 600 euros, this years quotes tho are laughable, my renewal came in with FBD 1200, Quotes with Axa 1300, 123.ie 2100 euros

The woman with the mustache in insurance place told me insurance has " went up a little bit alright"! im baffled by this! my insurance has doubled for no reason what so ever!

Try a broker, they might get you a better deal.

It worked for me, €430 fully comp on a 1.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Car insurance is laughable sometimes. Must be to do with where you live or something. I pay €450 on an RX8. Most I ever paid was 1100 on my V6 Alfa, and that included a fee for modifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Britons in Donegal always seem to get me a very cheap quote. They are a broker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My renewal arrived yesterday. €22 less than last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I don't have insurance.

Waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Better spendin a little extra. Theres a certain company all over the tv at the moment who will try anything to get out of paying a claim, and if u read the t and cs , I'm not sure if they cover anythin at all!

Better spendin a little extra. Theres a certain company all over the tv at the moment who will try anything to get out of paying a claim, and if u read the t and cs , I'm not sure if they cover anythin at all!

Compared to 1200 my current one is lookin for, if they said 200 euro for abit of paper on the window at this stage id take my chances

theres hope yet tho... one direct are lookin for 875, lol gettin closer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

KungPao wrote: »
    My car insurance was a reasonable €0, this year.

Just one of the little bonuses of not being a possessor of an automobile.

Followed by many negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Liberty tried this ****e with me too. I went elsewhere and saved €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

My insurance went up by around €100 this year, first time it's gone up in the 8 years I've been driving. Said I'd shop around a bit and see if anyone would cover me for less but forgot about it. Seems there's a few of us in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Had the same sh*te with FBD during the summer, wanted to almost double the fee and would automatically renew it to make things easy for me. Made up a figure and said another company had quoted me that and would renew it if they matched, wouldn't do it so I told them not to renew it. Luckily 123 quoted even less than my imaginary figure.

Similar happened to someone I know and they highlighted it on twitter and were bombarded with tweets offering to look into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One bit I don't get is the "do you have a car alarm" section. It makes not one bit of a difference if you say yay or nay. Which in my humble is daft(and very much not the case in the UK). I'll give you the bloody keys to my car and after you've worked out how to start it, if you get more than half a mile up the road before it conks out you're welcome to it. Basically you're gonna need a towtruck to take it and even then the alarm* will be going apeshít while you try(and cutting the battery power won't stop it). I've done my part, yet I get the same quote as some guy who relies on the basic manufacturers security(which is more and more easily bypassed).

*not just siren, but also the car horn, which I have noted actually gets attention, way more than the siren

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The big insurance houses are loading at the moment. None of the major players are breaking rank. They are trying to make themselves more attractive for long-term investment. Insurance is a funny game.

The result is higher premiums. It won't change today or tomorrow. I always find it funny that folk are out marching on the street over water charges when the bump in their insurance will heavily outweigh any charge Irish Water bring in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I want a car, miss driving. But I don't miss the expense of owning a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Every single year the insurance companies do this to me. 30+, full license, driving a 1.8 TDCi Ford Focus, 8 years NCB and somehow my insurance went up by 700 euro last year. Same excuse every year too, "Premiums have gone up this year". I just shop around between a couple of companies and get a better quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Followed by many negatives.
    My jet pack gets me where I have to get.

No traffic either.

Can be a bit chilly and blowy up there though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

For the fun of it, I went and got an online quote for a polo, female in my 30s, full licence, 0 years no claims bonus. They quoted me €3094, installments would be €3300.

That's madness. When I learning on my provisional, my own car, it was €900 for the year, and that was when I was starting off. It went down to something ridiculous like €350 after 5 years. I don't think I will ever see that again.

What happened.

Advertisement