Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Wells Danger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

90% of people involved in Tree Well/ SIS hazard research experiments could NOT rescue themselves. If a partner is not there for immediate rescue, the skier or rider may die very quickly from suffocation - in many cases, he or she can die as quickly as someone can drown in water.

http://www.deepsnowsafety.org/index.php/what-is/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

As a simple cost effective self-rescue device, I'm adding a loud plastic whistle to my gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

If you ski in Europe you don't have to worry about tree wells, exclusively a North American issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

OMFG I'm traumatised. Thanks for the nightmares MadsL!!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Fattes wrote: »
    If you ski in Europe you don't have to worry about tree wells, exclusively a North American issue

Whys that Fattes? The type of trees ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

lbj666 wrote: »
    Whys that Fattes? The type of trees ??

A number of factors, most ski resorts in Europe have all or most terrain above the tree line.

Snow, completely different snow types and weather systems so the snow crystals settle and compact differently

And the trees, branches tend to be higher off the ground in Europe than in N.america so tree wells don't develop.

They have been known to form in Japanese resorts but are pretty rare. You have more chance of being stampeded by elephants in a blue run than finding a tree well in europe!

Advertisement