Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reskill for DataBase Admin,

Options
  • 15-01-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I am looking to change career into a Database Admin role, I have no formal back ground in Computers but I have developed a Point of sale for my own business using MYSQL many years ago, I am looking as a start to get Certification for MYSQL and MSSQL and Orcale Database. But my question is what are the chances of getting a job at the age of 46.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Age shouldn't have a bearing on getting a job. In fact, a lot of senior DBAs would be well into their 40's.

However, the big issue is experience. Just getting certificates alone is utterly useless without the experience to back it up. Also, do you have a degree? A lack of degree would be a hindrance too.

If you think about it - in modern organisations, databases are increasingly vital to the success of the business. Would you trust your vital data to somebody with no experience, but a few certificates?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vvrt

I am not expecting to be a senior DBA, as you said I would lack the experience, I do have a Degree in telecommunications that I got back in 1990 but I have no relevant Degree in computers, just a strong interest over the years, it would take me 3-4 years to get a Degree in computer science but at which I will be older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

vvrt wrote: »
    I am not expecting to be a senior DBA, as you said I would lack the experience, I do have a Degree in telecommunications that I got back in 1990 but I have no relevant Degree in computers, just a strong interest over the years, it would take me 3-4 years to get a Degree in computer science but at which I will be older.

Doing the cert will get you on your way and show you have knowledge and interest in the area. I'd start reading questions on DBA StackExchange to get a better feel for what problems DBAs encounter on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

vvrt wrote: »

I wasn't suggesting that you apply for a senior DBA position, I was merely pointing out that people of that age do in fact work as DBAs. So your age is irrelevant.

Also, you have a degree, even if it is in telecommunications, it shouldn't be an issue. Another box ticked.

When I worked as a DBA, it was after many years in IT. I worked in a number of support departments and then obtained my Oracle Certified Professional certification.

My point being, aim for an IT support role first, while building your experience and studying for your certification. You cannot be a DBA in isolation, you need knowledge of where databases fit into the overall ecosystem.

In my utterly and unashamedly biased mind, Oracle is less common and therefore good Oracle DBAs are generally paid more more than MS SQL and MySQL DBAs. Something to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Hey Tom,

How did you go about getting your Oracle cert? It's something I'm exploring at the moment. I'm interested in pursuing DBA as a career.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement