Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore/sensitive teeth after biting something hard.

Options
  • 15-01-2015 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

About 10 days ago I bit into an olive which turned out to still have a pit in it. I felt a dull pain at first which faded, but after a couple of days my teeth in that area became excruciatingly sensitive to hot and cold, and it hurt to chew. The whole area was sore and sensitive, so it was hard to tell exactly which tooth/teeth were affected.

I went to the dentist who did an examination and took x-rays. She confirmed that I needed a filling in one tooth replaced and that I had a small cavity in another adjacent tooth. She did the two fillings together on Tuesday. However the area is still very, very sensitive. I don't have as much pain now when chewing, but anything cold or hot really hurts. It also feels as though a third tooth is affected as well, one that wasn't worked on but is in the same area.

My question is - could biting on the olive pit have caused damage that the examination and x-ray didn't show? Is it something that may just heal itself over time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hard to tell, could be senstivity, could be a cracked tooth. X-rays often dont show early cracks. Go back to your dentist and have them test the teeth in question. You are also a grinder from the other thread where you needed a splint, that could be another thing pointing towards a crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks for the reply. :) I am due back in a few weeks so I'll mention it then if it hasn't settled down.

Good point about the grinding and I do have fairly sensitive in general, but I do wear the night guard every night without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Is the night guard hard (like rock hard plastic no flex) or soft (rubbery) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

It's quite hard - there's maybe a small bit of flex but definitely not what I'd call rubbery. It looks like clear plastic or acrylic.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I researched a lot about cracked tooth, and it is hard to determine minor cracks
    There is special tool on internet you can buy to check it (forgot the name)

you might also have sore nerves or infected and it hurts when you bite, chew. that happened to me.
    if you chose to go to dentist, chose the one that has micro cam cos xrays are not so reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement