Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema Membership/Loyalty Cards

Options
  • 15-01-2015 2:30pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I saw this week that the Light House Cinema in Dublin has launched a new membership scheme. There's 3 different levels at 3 different costs. You basically gain points on your purchases up to a certain amount and with the two paid options you get 4 free tickets a year along with whatever points you accumulate.

I had been thinking about maybe going for the middle option but then I was looking at the CineWorld website and their Unlimited Card seems like a much better option.

I know the IFI has membership too but I'm not sure how that works.

Does anyone have any of these memberships? Any thoughts on which one works out best? I suppose it really depends on how often you go. If you go a lot I'd imagine CineWorld is the best bet?

I prefer to go to the Light House when possible because it's handier to get to for me and is usually fairly quiet during the day. It can be quite limited in what it screens though so again I'd think the CineWorld pass gives you more options?

Also there are CineWorld cinemas elsewhere, I assume, so I could use that in more than one cinema?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

There's only one Cineworld in Ireland so the unlimited card doesn't travel at all.

I've mixed feelings about it though. Yes I use it often enough and I get to see a lot of movies but I've a few issues. I have to travel a bit to get there so it may be worth questioning whether it's worth the fare into town as well especially if there are multiplexes near you that do good deals. Also the audience there can be a real problem at times if you like to watch films back to front with zero distractions, I'm often greeted with people kicking the back of my seats, texting or just munching and slurping their €8 popcorn meal really loudly. A lot of ads and trailers too and I mean 20 to 25 minutes of them compared to the 10 to 15 you get in the Savoy or other cinemas around town. Despite all the ostensibly free tickets I could get with the card I still find myself going to The Savoy, IFI and Lighthouse too for a more untainted experience of the movie. As the OP said afternoon screenings in The Lighthouse do be great for how quiet it is! In fact I often just take a chance on whatever's playing in Cineworld in the morning and then go to an afternoon screening of something I really want to watch in one of the other cinemas in town.

I'm an IFI member too and I find that does be worth the 25 a year as you get a ticket up front as well as other free movies if you accumulate enough points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I have the Odeon loyalty card. It's okay, takes a long time to build points.

But..

The odd time when your booking online the option to use the loyally card vanishes from the page and you have to pay full price (I checked I was in the right time and day to use loyalty points)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I reckon everyone has the Cineworld Unlimited pass. Been thinking of cancelling mine but it seems a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have literally an online account for Omniplex Rathmines, which seems to have good discounts (you get an account discount, and 10% off if you book online).

For example, Student rate, any time any day is 5:30.

Advertisement