Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbike

Options
  • 15-01-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey lads, thinking of going down this road. Any info on an GSXR, R1, Fireblade or a zx10r ye can give would be great. My heart is on a zx10 but sometimes I should listen to my inner voice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

This is just my opinion and I'm not questioning your riding skills but it baffles me as to why people get the big bikes, when only I'd say 5% of riders can push them to what they're capable of. To then go on and find the bikes limits? You would wanna be up at Micky Dunlop and Keitk Amor's skill level.

Now saying that, if you just wanna get one to own a "big bike" or you don't wanna have to be forever dropping gears on a supersport when overtaking? Then forget everything I've just said and get a BMW s1000rr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

what years? it has a huge bearing on the question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

You'd be better taking the time to go a n have a look at these bikes...they dont always fit your size/weight/height....nothing worse than trying to look cool sitting on a nail.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 visor down

Hey, only going on what I had. out of these 918 00 blade , 02 r6, 02 gsxr 1000, 02 zx12r , 99 r1, and now my favourite k4 gsxr 1000.

loved the blade great all round bike the k2 100 was a lovely machine to drive , r6 felt like a bmx after been on others. the zx 12 was a stupid choice but really wanted one but then regret it. the r1 is all there so light but exup trb pissed me off and I'm a big lad I felt a little awkward on it. the k4 1000 stands out so much power comfort handling just a beast of a machine. only issue was wiring loom was easy fix. hope was some help

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Wossack wrote: »
    what years? it has a huge bearing on the question
    I was thinking between 2007 - 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

This beast - every time....

3tZRwDn.jpg?1

If you can't afford it, then this is a good close second. :D

Eh7GQPc.jpg?1

The BMW is well out of my price range but that R1 looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭batman_oh

All years and all bikes are much different. I have a few and had shots on almost all of the litre bikes from about 2003 onwards and the differences between different years of the same bike can be as big as the difference between manufacturers. How much are you looking to spend?

Up until 2006 I would recommend the k5/k6 GSXR 1000. It's the best package form that era and still probably has the best engine ever put into a 1000cc bike for road use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭batman_oh

b_mac2 wrote: »
    This is just my opinion and I'm not questioning your riding skills but it baffles me as to why people get the big bikes, when only I'd say 5% of riders can push them to what they're capable of. To then go on and find the bikes limits? You would wanna be up at Micky Dunlop and Keitk Amor's skill level.

Now saying that, if you just wanna get one to own a "big bike" or you don't wanna have to be forever dropping gears on a supersport when overtaking? Then forget everything I've just said and get a BMW s1000rr.

You can't push a 600 to what its capable of on the road either - unless you are talking about just going straight? 600s run greater corner speeds than litre bikes and can brake later etc. Have a look at the lap time difference on a track - at Mondello most people are quicker on 600s.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Don't forget about a Triumph Daytona 675R. Personality I think this is one the nicest 600ish bikes around.
    2012-Triumph-Daytona675Rc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What about the GSXR750 K4-K5?
    Handy size and still all the power you will ever need.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What about the GSXR750 K4-K5?
    Handy size and still all the power you will ever need.

+1........great bike..can easily keep up with any 1000 on the twisty stuff

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    Don't forget about a Triumph Daytona 675R. Personality I think this is one the nicest 600ish bikes around.
    Yep very tide bike but too small for me. Why I was looking at the zx10 (2008) is there's plenty of room on it. Being a long fecker all the bikes I looked at were very cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Yep very tide bike but too small for me. Why I was looking at the zx10 (2008) is there's plenty of room on it. Being a long fecker all the bikes I looked at were very cramped.

How tall are you, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Each to their own, I say.

If you want it, and you can afford it, why can't you have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

i had a 05 R1 and a 08 GSXR K8, did about 25,000kms on each, two great bikes, the K8 a bit more of an all rounder, i reckon that would suit size wise, i wouldn't be a fan of the kwakers from those years, but if you can get either yamaha or suzuki in good shape you won't go far wrong,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have a Fireblade and was nervous as to whether I needed 1000cc or if it would be too much for me. I don't regret it. I'm an average rider I'm no Rossi, but I really enjoy the power with the smoothness of the Four, very different to the 750 twin I had before. You dont have to be fiving it full pelt all the time but its nice to give it some stick once in a while. Feels like your face is going to peel off at max throttle haha. Amazingly sometimes I even wish I had more low end grunt, I suppose you'll always get use to what you have. The Blade is a very easy bike to ride I'm not sure what the others are like.

How tall are you, just out of interest?
    6 foot 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have a look at this site:
    http://cycle-ergo.com/
    You are going to be big on any of these bikes with the way they are setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

5%?? Seriously I'd say 0.5% of people who buy a litre sport bike will ever get the most out of it. It's all willy waving if we are honest same as the lads who buy ZZR 1400's and Busa's. I remember my first litre sport bike the 1998 fireblade (well actually a 918) purchased in 2003 by myself and even that was completely beyond my capabilities. The out of the crate Gsxr 1000's and R1's of today are better than the world superbikes of the early 1990's and Joe/Jane average will never ride one near it's limits.

Have not owned a litre sports since I sold my 2005 R1 and few years ago and I find my Z1000 much more enjoyable for real world riding.

That said that S1000r is very tempting :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow....

Well it looks like I'll be riding a fast bike slow.
    Just bought a 2009 zx10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Well wear, any pics?

Good choice...hope its green..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Ha ha ha

Safe riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

Happy new bike!!

Thanks all. I'm one happy camper. A few dry roads would be nice.

Advertisement