Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloadable Flyers Responsibility/Liability

Options
  • 15-01-2015 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Not directly related to here, might be more a topic for the legal forum but I'm trying here first in case anyone has experience with it.

I'm launching a new website in the coming weeks and one piece of functionality 'could' be to download a flyer or A4 poster for a classified that is on the website, I'm wondering what responsibility/liability is on me as the owner/developer of the site if these flyers have the site logo on them and users can freely print them off and post them anywhere they want to whether in letter boxes or on notice boards or on car windows or anywhere a person could put one which leaves the possibility of them becoming litter on the ground?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ask a Litter Warden. Call the Environment section of your local authority. They will know every bit about the law.

I do know that if a business puts a flyer on a windscreen (e.g. under the wipers) and it ends up on the ground, they can be fined for littering. I verified this with a litter warden a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/litter_law.html

"Advertising flyers
    If you plan to distribute advertising leaflets in the street, you should first check with the local authority to see if there are any local litter restrictions. It is illegal to place advertising leaflets on car windscreens."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The litter aspect was just one example, I'm meant in general if anyone can print off a flyer with your site name on it and do what they want with it/put it where they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

You could force people to log in before they can download, and then you can include something to indicate who downloaded the flyer on it, perhaps an ID code. That way, you have plausible deniability - you can actually say who the person is who had the document.

Advertisement