Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Access Course

Options
  • 15-01-2015 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully I will get into Access this September and start my Social Science degree in 2016, I hear it's a fantastic option for mature students but I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers to anywhere online.

1. How many people apply for the course, and how many are successful? Are people left disappointed? I have this horrible thought in my head of a thousand applicants and they only accept 30 or something, hahaha.

2. My subject choice would be for arguments sake lets say, Sociology and Archaeology on Mondays and Wednesdays. Will I be in the same classroom as the students who want to do Law programmes after finishing Access? Basically what I think I'm asking is, is everyone who is in Access in the same Lecture room regardless of what they want to do after Access?

I'm sure I have other questions, I just can't think of them right now.

Thank you for your help. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I can answer point 2 for you. yep if you are doing archaeology on the access and someone who is hoping to do a degree in law post access is also doing archaeology you will be in the same class. there were people in my History module last semester who want to go on to do Arts, some for Law and some for Social Sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Goggleyed_gimp

hdowney wrote: »
    I can answer point 2 for you. yep if you are doing archaeology on the access and someone who is hoping to do a degree in law post access is also doing archaeology you will be in the same class. there were people in my History module last semester who want to go on to do Arts, some for Law and some for Social Sciences.

Thanks! I have remembered my final and most important question if you can answer it. Say I pick Sociology and History for access, Sociology is one of the majors in Social Science, will I have to do Sociology all over again when I get into Social Science or what happens?

And roughly how many people were in your History Class? Was it full?

Appreciate your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

yes you will do it again. you just do one little bit of sociology in access. like one module. and there were about 25 in my History class

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

No idea how many people apply for access, but I know there are people in my class who literally applied the week it started and got in, so I don't think you will be left disappointed.

It is a fantastic course, excellent preparation for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Basscon23

Hi there.

Can anybody who completed the UCD access Science course, tell me about what modules you took?

I know you study Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. But was wondering what modules you would study under those subjects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 tcoogan

Hi there,
    UCD's Access to Arts & Social Sciences is a part-time course, and the good news is that there are at least 100 places available to adult learners.
    Application is open, but you must be at least 22 years old by the first of January of the year of entry to the course. You may choose to study either in the morning or the evening, and will then be expected to attend for two sessions per week, for two ten week terms. Academic subjects vary between day and evening, and may also change from one year to the next. Please see the UCD Access & Lifelong Learning website or feel free to contact me directly for further information. thomond.coogan@ucd.ie

Advertisement