Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Hi

I ordered a watch from them on 6/1/15 its stuck in customs since friday, and another from Jomashop something similar but its being delivered tomorrow be prepared to wait and to be caught for excise and other charges, great prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I like the 2nd one
    Just some advice though, if your line of work in engineering takes you working with equipment and there is a likelihood of getting your hands "dirty" and in equipment on occasions, try to get something with sapphire crystal. Also avoid polished cases if possible (go for brushed) as the watch will get easily scratched and it shows up more on the polished cases and non-sapphire crystals

Also check out Orients range...probably come in slightly cheaper than their Seiko counterparts
    https://www.schoeneuhren.de/marken/orient-uhren/

http://www.orientuhren.de/index.php?language=en

On the dress watch you wont go far wrong with a Stowa....I have the Ikarus and they are top quality watches. I'm not a fan of the exposed skeleton watches...think they are just too complicated to read the watch time at a glance
    Although nice to look at, you are not going to spend your day looking at the inner workings 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

the 3rd one, the SKX007 is a great watch

for dress, 1K is a good bit of money, the Stowa Marine is well within budget

Also, look at Steinhartwatches.de

Good watches, cheaper than Steinhart,

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I agree with Lex Luthor, I think the skeleton watches are way too busy - an open heart watch could be an option as a compromise, but I don't know how long that fad will last. Maybe a display case back you'll see occasionally would be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I have the skx007 , and it is a very ninice watch for the money, however the only way of winding it is via the automatic mechanism which makes it a bit of a pain unless you are wearing it every day. AFAIK the newer seiko monsters are manual wind as well as automatic so might be make better beaters. Also check out the quartz and solar diver range from citizen. If you want an accurate and durable beater then you can't go wrong with quartz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

thanks guys I think im gonna go with the skx009j, is the made in japan thing just a PR stunt or would it be a better assembled watch than a normal skx009 ?.I see its a hardlex not a sapphire crystal hopefully it will resist some scratches.in respect of the stowa automatic watches if I only wear it at weekends the odd time,will I need to wind it every weekend and is this bad for the mechanism not being in use during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

bazbrady wrote: »
    thanks guys I think im gonna go with the skx009j, is the made in japan thing just a PR stunt or would it be a better assembled watch than a normal skx009 ?.I see its a hardlex not a sapphire crystal hopefully it will resist some scratches.in respect of the stowa automatic watches if I only wear it at weekends the odd time,will I need to wind it every weekend and is this bad for the mechanism not being in use during the week?

Hi, The 009 (just a different bezel) is like the 007 and non handwindable. No one has ever been able to find any technical difference between the J and K models. I bought a 007 K2 and it's fairly accurate. Hardlex is great, it is very hard and does not scratch very easily. If it does then you might try rubbing 'Polywatch' onto the dial to make it look like new again. Hardlex is less likely to shatter than sapphire. Leaving it unwound on weekends will be fine, just move it gently back and forth in an arc about 30 times on the monday morning to recharge the spring. The stock Jubilee bracelet is really comfy but rattly. The Stock rubber looks horrible IMHO but the one that comes with American version of the 007 (the SKX173) looks nice and can be picked up easily enough. There are also lots of bracelet alternatives available from places like strapcode.

Advertisement