Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Swan retiring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

No surprise really, as a rider can't fault him but training was certainly not his thing, just hope the staff can be kept on or find work elsewhere.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/c-f-swan-charlie-swan-makes-shock-retirement-decision/1806079/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

This is the first I'm reading of it. Still a bit of a surprise to me considering some of the owners behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Sad to see and a sad reflection of our industry. There could well be a few more joining him in the next few weeks. The scared cow of increased prizemoney at all other costs is coming home to roost for the industry.
    An insight can be seen here: http://www.irishracing.com/news?prid=106446&headline=Irish-Racing--Growth-in-Key-Areas-in-2014

"We are now seeing the full effect of the dramatic declines in foal crops in 2009 and 2010 and ownership is an area that needs continued focus. While the overall number of owners has fallen again, the increase in new owners is welcome and our field sizes bear favourable comparison with other racing jurisdictions."
    This is spin. The fact is that Irish NH racing is becoming monopolised by a handful of high profile owners who are hoovering up large prizemoney; while simultaneously squeezing out the small owner/trainer. There are plenty of thoroughbreds out there but it is financial madness to get involved through ownership currently in Irish NH racing as the Graded races are out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If I was an owner or staff at the stable, I can't say I would be best pleased at this decision. Whatever about the decision to retire, to do it in the middle of the NH season is poor form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm pretty sure the timing will have to do with when licences are renewed. Off the top of my head, I think it's around February.

Sad to see really. Whilst a very good jockey he didn't quite reach the same level as a trainer.
    It is tough in the smaller trainer these days as mentioned above and I agree that it is becoming increasingly difficult for small owners to compete with the bigger operations. Alas they aren't breaking rules so its difficult to suggest a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

If I was an owner or staff at the stable, I can't say I would be best pleased at this decision. Whatever about the decision to retire, to do it in the middle of the NH season is poor form.

Yeah just keep the business going and feed the horses nought and pay the staff nought?

Yeah just keep the business going and feed the horses nought and pay the staff nought?
    So you think quitting mid-season with two weeks notice to staff and owners is grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

So you think quitting mid-season with two weeks notice to staff and owners is grand?

What do you expect him to do?

Its a business after all and it wasn't profitable. I doubt he came to the decision lightly but if only have his stable was occupied he wasn't making enough to survive.

faoile@n wrote: »
    What do you expect him to do?

Its a business after all and it wasn't profitable. I doubt he came to the decision lightly but if only have his stable was occupied he wasn't making enough to survive.
    He was obviously struggling for a long time, why not retire a few months ago before the start of the season?

Like you said, it's a business; seems poor form to walk out on it with 2 weeks notice in the middle of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

sorry to see Charlie retire, real nice fella, staff would have known this was in the pipeline, wasn't a new years resolution

had some nice winners down through the years, especially for Gigginstown

hard to make a go of it training 15 to 20 winners a year, especially when those winners are at the lower level, no stars that keep you in the headlines

hard to imagine how some other trainers are surviving, especially those that don't have JP, Gigginstown or Paul Shanahan on the owners roster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

He was obviously struggling for a long time, why not retire a few months ago before the start of the season?

Like you said, it's a business; seems poor form to walk out on it with 2 weeks notice in the middle of the season.

If only he, and the many many business owners that have made similar decisions in the very recent past, had the crystal ball that told him things would not be so bright in January.

It's not about being nice or mid season (which is an utter bollix argument, do you think the horses eat sh*te in their off season? And theres a fairly health summer schedule too.), it's about reality and sustaining a business in an industry that is suffering big time.
    It's not like he had a huge team of horses primed to strike at Chelt, Aintree and Punchestown.

And also, do you think the owners are going to have to take the horses home to their back yards? They'll be grand, I'm sure one of Charlies colleagues will be in touch.

Keep going until they lock the gates... is that what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Winning Ways Racing

There are plenty of thoroughbreds out there but it is financial madness to get involved through ownership currently in Irish NH racing as the Graded races are out of reach.

Equating financial soundness and horse ownership is never a good start. It is a hobby or interest and the best advice is always to assume the money will never be seen again. We all start with the hope of having a winner, anything after that is a real bonus.

As for Charlie Swan, I don't know the guy and only met him once. People say he is a likable fella. I'm sure he is. But I'm not sure about his comment of needing 40-50 horses to make it profitable. I know trainers making a wage with less horses and the extra comes from the winnings. But they have worked really hard on reducing their costs while maintaining a decent standard of feed and staff (the two main costs) and they have paying owners. Maybe Charlie just decided there wasn't enough in it for the bother. Being a bloodstock agent has its own challenges but ought to be a better lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Looks like his last runner will be the J.P. McManus owned Getoutwhenyoucan!!!

Advertisement